Koh Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
August 24th 2014
Published: August 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

So after just two nights in Krabi Town, instead of heading to one of the provincial beaches Ao Nang, Hat Ton Sai or Hat Rai Leh, I took the 2h ferry ride south to the cluster of islands collectively known as Koh Phi Phi Don.

As noted in my earlier entry, Koh Phi Phi is of course famous for being featured in Leonardo di Caprio's film "The Beach", so it seemed obligatory for me to check it out. In fact, the actual beach where many of the movie's scenes were shot lies not on the main island, but on a smaller one slightly further south, specifically Maya Bay on Phi Phi Leh. It costs an additional THB1500+ by longtail boat there, so you can probably guess I decided to pass and just explore the main island.

Phi Phi really reminded me much about Koh Phangan of Full Moon Party fame, and which I checked out and wrote about on my birthday last year. Along with massive Phuket, Phi Phi is one of the original Thai islands that were discovered relatively recently by intrepid backpackers just a few decades ago.

Look how much has changed since, though despite the rapid development of more upscale accomodation options in the slightly more remote parts, the main sandy isthmus strip of Phi Phi still retains much of its banana pancake trail roots -- narrow, pedestrian-only streets flanked by bars, restaurants, guesthouses and T-shirt and pizza vendors. By day its visitors and denizens soak up the sun-filled blonde beaches, with bayviews backed by awe-inspiring limestone karsts. And by night the neon-wearing Phangan crowd clones croon along to their favourite Western dance and pop hits into the wee hours (they are still going strong as I write this!) As I've already found out from my Samui and Phangan experiences, the party never ends on these idyllic Thai island paradises...

Stayed at Tara Inn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Phangan ReduxPhangan Redux
Phangan Redux

The same little shops selling T-shirts, trinkets and day tours and bus tickets, flanking narrow lanes in the maze-like warrens that must now define wannabe niche party islands.
You know the Chinese tourists have arrivedYou know the Chinese tourists have arrived
You know the Chinese tourists have arrived

When you see Chinese signs everywhere!


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb