A piece of paper to get to Phi Phi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
January 21st 2008
Published: January 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello All,

So we have made it to Thailand, after a long journey from Heathrow Airport. We got to Bangkok after a few hairy moments with a taxi driving who swore blind that he knew where he was going, yet looked about 12 years old! However, we finally realised something wasnt quite right as he started to head to the back door, so we grabed our bags and legged it to a more convenient spot to catch a legal cab..! Once in Bangkok though, we had a great time, finding a great street other than the infamous Koh San Road, we stayed there for 2 nights for a reasonable 800 Baht, a measly 13 pounds, which was really clean and comfortable. After lots of being eyed up by lady boys and weirdly young looking girls and Samsongs (Thai Whiskey) later, we decided to get going after 2 days to Phi Phi, a wonderful Island to the West of Thailand (Where the Beach was filmed).

WE went to one of the shops which a small sign outside it saying buses to Phi Phi, we went with it. Once being given our "ticket", a piece of paper stating there were 2 of us, where we were going, a price and stamp stating PAID, and a Thai woman repeating "Phi Phi" every 5 minutes we merrily went back to our hotel. Once settled in having a read in our new lonely planet guide, we stumpled upon a papragraph which stated "beware of the VIP buses on the Koh San Road, these rarely provide the service stated and has been known to leave people on the high way.. umm!!! Ha- whilst Molly fretted over whether or not we should go, we nievely decided to give it worl considering the book was 6 years old. .. and Dan stated that he was a Kickboxer and would Kick anyones arse if they did that!

After waiting 2 hours on the kurb for a bus with many other gormless, pasty, disorientated travellers, we got on our "VIP bus" and got or should i say we say 'scrambled' on our bus trying to get the best seat (there wasnt one) we carried happily on our way.
After a good 12 hours later of Ipod listening, eating, pointless chatting, one eye shut sleeping and lots of ear wigging and witnessing an elephant on the side of the road on the kurb with what could have been his owner,we began to wonder whether we were asleep or awake. Finally, however, turned up at our first destination with out scrunched "ticket" in hand which funnily enough did get us to our destination. Who needs reliable English computerised tickets hey, real travellers make their own way!!

After many bussing and tuk tuking and boating later, we finally made it to Phi Phi. Which is absolutely beautiful, which is probaly an undersatement, its really really amazing!!! We ooed and ahhed a lot and finally got to our room, which was a little bit of a butlins chalet, but is really enjoyable all the same, with many other travellers doing the same thing. There is little here to show that the Tsnami actually happened apart from some pictures in places and buildings still being made. The prices are a little higher, at a whole 3 pound a meal rather than 2 pound a meal, but you dont mind spending it knowing you have possibly helped someones livlihood who went through such a horrific ordeal.
We are going on a Long Tail Boat tomorrow, which will be nice, we're going round all the Island and other Islands too, so we hope to catch some rays and a glimps of where Leonard sat when filming the beach-nice!!

Dan will be diving in a few days time, to a wreckage of a car ferry, as there is no traffic on the island, which is wonderful! The temperature is a moderate mid thirties, which will do i suppose!!!
We really are having a wonderful time and are looking forward to some more moving about (safely) in about 4/5 days..

Hope everyone is ok.
Will update soon with piccies and more diary entries.

Mols and Dan xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx






Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb