Ko Phi Phi - Day 55 - 57


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Phi Phi Leh - The BeachPhi Phi Leh - The BeachPhi Phi Leh - The Beach

The water in Thailand is so warm!
We hopped an overnight bus from Bangkok to the the coastal town of Krabi where we took a ferry to Ko Phi Phi. It was a long and interesting bus ride - don't think we would do it again, but was worth it. : ) Phi Phi (pronounced pee-pee) is a beautiful little island off the west coast of mainland Thailand in the Andaman Sea (Indian Ocean). Ko Phi Phi was the second worst hit in the tsunami of 2004 and they are still putting things back together. It was a pretty sad reality seeing memorials on the island for lost loved ones in such a beautiful place.

We stayed in a quaint little bungalo that must have just been built within the last year. We found a great thai kitchen with good service and ate most of our meals there. While on Phi Phi we took some walks to check out some of the beaches. We also hiked up to the island's viewpoint. The hike to the viewpoint was very hot but what a view. The majority of the development on the island is on a thin strip of beach. What's really cool about the island is there
Ko Phi Phi Ko Phi Phi Ko Phi Phi

Our hot hike to the island's viewpoint was worth the beautiful view!
are no cars and hardly any motorbikes, really no need since everything is so close together. Lots of bicycles and people walking.

On our second day we decided to take a snorkel tour to the neighboring island of Ko Phi Phi Leh. Ko Phi Phi is made up of two islands - Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Leh. Phi Phi Leh is the smaller of the two and does not have any development on it. The big draw to Phi Phi Leh is that the movie "The Beach" was filmed there. We took the late afternoon tour so our boat was the only tour boat in the bay. It was really fantastic and we watched the sunset from "the beach". The tour was great. We did some snorkeling, but decided to stay out of the water after we spotted numerous jelly fish the size of beach balls! Yikes! The highlight of the trip was Pat dancing for free beer in the "can you keep your balance while the boat is tossing about" competition.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.2198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb