Bangkok - Day 52 - 54


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 28th 2007
Published: April 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After our 9 1/2 hour flight from Sydney we arrived in Bangkok. This is one busy city! We decided to stay in the Khao San district becuase of its proximity to all of the major monuments. The Khao San disctrict also happens to be the biggest concentration of western tourists, cheap souvenirs, food stalls, and neon signage west of the Mekong. : ) Needless to say there was not a quiet moment. Our first night in Thaliand we spent walking around the streets near our hotel and soaking up the atmosphere (we are definitely not in Kansas anymore...). Our first full day in Bangkok we hopped in a tuk-tuk and checked out the Standing Buddha, the Happy Buddha, and the Golden Mountain temples. We also visited a few of the neighborhood temples that tourists don't usually check out. We got lucky and had some helpful Thais teach us how to properly pay respect to Buddha. It was great!

The next day we took a taxi ride over to the Jim Thompson House. Jim Thompson was an American who had a huge silk business in Thailand. He settled in Bangkok and had a beautiful Thai style house which is now open to the public. We also visited the more touristy temples including the Grand Palace, the Reclining Buddah and Emerald Buddah. We got around mostly on foot however also traveled by the Sky Train, and took the ferry along the Chao Praya river. The islands are definitely calling after all this excitement!





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



5th May 2007

GOLD
THERES SURE ENOUGH GOLD PLAVCED ON THINGS IN BANKOK ISNT THERE?
9th May 2007

Mol, I was just reading you blog and realized the most of the places you visited in Bangkok, I have been like the Reclining Buddha. That is so werid. Anyways, miss you bunches.
14th May 2007

Yay! Sounds Like Fun!!
Looks like you had a great time in Thailand. I leave for Bangkok on the 19th. I'm going to email you from my hotmail account too, but if you have any advice on what to do/not do in a short amount of time, that would be awesome. We'll be in Bangkok for 3 nights and then go to Chiang Mai, then come back to Bangkok for 2 nights before finishing up our trip in Ko Samui. Have fun in Vietnam!

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb