Paradise: Take 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
June 26th 2008
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Catching the SunriseCatching the SunriseCatching the Sunrise

Jetlag is good for some things
We headed to the southern island of Koh Phangan. As you might expect to get here we needed to take a ferry. Considering the fact that they have about four ferrys a day coming through that particular pier you would think they might be expecting us, but no I guess not. We all wound up having to climb over the railing on the back of the boat and jump to the docks. After we got there we turned around and started helping everybody else across. I am sure it would have been quite interesting to watch everybody handing their bags and their kids over the railings. You have to have a lot of faith in a complete stranger to just hand them your kid over a 40 foot drop. It was on of the few times I was holding on to a baby that I did not feel uncomfortable. Strange how that happens in a situation like that.

We rented motorbikes our first day on the island and it took Jeff all of about 3 minutes to crach. I don't blame him though because this is about the hardest place in the world to drive a motorbike. Even worse considering
Dinner anyone?Dinner anyone?Dinner anyone?

Jeff wouldn't even try it
the fact that where we were staying there was only dirt and sand roads and really steep hills. You guys will get some nice photos of that on the next blog.

Anyways our first two days on the island we stayed up at abeach called Haad Khom. We met a lady near the pier that we talked to for a while (she also happens to teach thai cooking and invited us to stay at her house for a few days on the mainland. I might it at the end of my trip because Jeff does not have the time now.) When I told her about how I had been to Haad Yuan before and I could not wait to get back she started telling me how much it has changed and that we might want to stay elsewhere for what we were looking for. We decided to take her advice and went to the north of the island. It was a nice secluded place similar to what haad yuan used to be, but the beach was real rocky and you were really far from everything. The people were nice but we decided we would check out Had Yuan for ourselves.

Wow!! What a change! Our old bungalows are still here but the other half of the beach that used to be deserted is packed with bungalows and a resort. There are now some tour groups that come here now and the style of traveler has changed a bit too. They even built a road to Haad Thien (the neighboring beach) Everything is also quite abit more expensive then before. On top of the fact that our money is worth 20% less, the prices seem to have risen about 25%. All the food and transport cost 1.5 times what it did before. I guess it is bound to happen.

It is nice to be done traveling and staying in a comfortable place for a few days. We had an adventure or two on the way here, but we are back in Haad Yuan, and I am happy.

Of course as usual my camera is already broken. For some reason I can't zoom in our out. I will be using jeff's camera for most of the photos, but if some are a little to far or a little too close bear with me.

Enough bullshit on with
FinallyFinallyFinally

Jeff's first night in Koh Phangan and he looks happy as hell with a puff and his first plate of pad thai.
uploading the photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The DocksThe Docks
The Docks

Jeff looks happy to be in paradise
Getting to DrylandGetting to Dryland
Getting to Dryland

This is after we hopped of the boat. Now we have to get off the thing we hopped on to.
On the MoveOn the Move
On the Move

This is traveling in style
JumanjiJumanji
Jumanji

A bit bigger than two years ago, but still just as cool.
Robinson Crusoe StyleRobinson Crusoe Style
Robinson Crusoe Style

Yes Damn it. We finally have pictures Warner
Garden of EdenGarden of Eden
Garden of Eden

Now they have utensils for us to use
Is he happy?Is he happy?
Is he happy?

I can't tell
Powering the beachPowering the beach
Powering the beach

What did you expect powerlines?
SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

Its worth 2 shots


26th June 2008

Utensil?
That sucks about the camera...maybe you should look on Ebay under "Ignatious-Proof " cameras? Also, there is a bit of interest in that utensil that Jeff is using. What exactly does it do? ROTFLMAO. It is amazingly sucky how fast things sometimes change out on the road, especially in a place like Thailand...my first trip over 20 years ago (shit, am I THAT old?), the island where you are only had power from midnight to 6 am...and that was iffy. The value of the dollar seems headed up, so the exchange rates may get a bit better... WHY must you eat those things????
26th June 2008

The last picture is beautiful! The too will get crowded. I remember Florida when it too was empty and serene. I see why you love it there. Thank you for the view and pad tai is a good for to start with. Love you MOM
7th July 2008

Poor Jeff
In that 'Is he happy?' picture... Jeff looks like he's about to puke! lol Sucks the place u were gonna go to is all touristy now, I know u like it all deserted! Nice utensil... u gonna bring me one of those???!!!

Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1622s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb