On the Way Again


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
June 24th 2008
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So here I am again in the Land of Smiles. I have to say I was quite happy to be here again. It is one of my favorite countries I have ever visited. I think my story should start long before I arrived here though because... well it always does when traveling.

So I arrive in China looking for the transfer area so I can catch my next flight without entering China. You know not having one of those pesky Visas and all. You would think that it would be a common occurance somebody connecting flights in Guangzhou, but they certainly did not make it seem like they were used to it. When I arrived in Gunagzhou there was no area for it. There was only a line for immigration. I waited there and finally I told the guy I had no Visa. He looked at me and asked why. I told him I was not staying in China.
He did not seem impressed.
I think the fact that I did not have an onward ticket may have been part of the problem. Since I had such a long layover in china they could not issue my ticket in LAX.

Anyways he has my sit in a little area, takes my passport and leaves. In about 20 or 30 minutes. He finally comes back with my passport (stamped by China and everything) and an onward flight ticket for me. then he escorts me to the waiting area for my next flight. I figure I might as well go to the China Southern desk and see if they can put me on an earlier flight. Who really wants to wait in an airport for 12 hours anyways. They tell me to go sit down and they will see what they can do.

I go to the restaurant across the hall (the food on China Southern is horrible so I had not eaten in a while) I order this really awesome looking soup and it smells great. I say awesome looking becuase about 5 seconds after the soup arrives a guy comes up and says you want the earlier flight... lets go. Alright score screw the damn soup I am out of here I'll just take my bottle of water. He takes me back out through security (which I was just escorted through) and gives my an earlier flight ticket and then brings me back through security. Time to throw out that brand new bottle of water again. Now I have an hour to sit in the airport and think about the $10 soup I just threw out so I coud walk in a big circle right back to where I was.

Screw it at least now I had a flight in one hour vs. 12.

I arrived in Bangkok quite a bit earlier (12:00 vs 8:30pm) so I went and got Jeff and I a room real close to the Airport. We had to catch a flight the next day at 9:00. The location was nice, but unfortunately there was absolutley nothing to do there so I basically waited around for Jeff to get in at 9:30. I figured i would make him sweat it out at the airport a little bit and not show up for an hour or sa after his flight.

I thought it was funny, him not so much. he told me he was flipping out thinking I missed my flight.

Anyways see you in Paradise.

Advertisement



26th June 2008

Welcome to Asia!
Ah yes, the joy of travel. Reading of your adventures makes me smile. And makes me think of that Dylan line about "how much do you have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice." Just remember that you only get to ask one "WHY" question every 24 hours. Have fun and we are all looking forward to seeing you here in the "Land of Not Quite Right."
26th June 2008

Finally
I was so glad to see you had written. How was the other flight? Once again you are on your way to travel the world for the rest of your family. Can't wait to see what you start eating again. Love Mom
7th July 2008

lol
No soup for you!!! lmao!!! The last part of that blog made it great!! Making Jeff sweat it out for a bit!!! Thats why I luv ya Brett!!! haha!! (Had I known ur blogs were going to spam I could have posted this comment in a timely manner!) ha!

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb