sun day 79


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lipe
April 13th 2015
Published: April 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

So this being our only full day on the island we had a few things planned. First off was to relax ( after the pretty hectic journey to get here!) and secondly was to search out the sea gypsy people that are native to Ko Lipe ( this being the main reason to come here in the first place.) So with the hotel situated on the beach we were in the sea by mid morning. The sea being a beautiful colour and so clear that you could see the many fish that would swim close to the shore. The midday heat being so intense on the beach it was so relaxing to be in the water, so after doing nothing for a few hours we decided to hire a kayak. Paddling a little further out to see the corals, crabs and some different species of fish we made it round to the next beach. Parking up we had another relax in the sea - this one smelling of watermelon! Here we talked and laughed about making our millions by selling this idea to hundreds of Chinese tourists! Deciding that the kayaking was a little hard work we headed back to the main beach, dried off and went in search of the sea gypsys. Before heading to the island I was hoping that there would possibly be a tour that you could do where you would learn about their lifestyle and maybe spend some time with them. Once on the island and realising that this wasn't an option but having a handy map to hand in which the area they live clearly marked out - we went in search. After walking for about 20 minutes we found the chao lay village, consisting mainly of very basic huts made out of wood and metal. The sea gypsy people speak a different language, have animalistic beliefs and live very basic lives. Walking through the village and seeing a few social gatherings but wanting to respect them and not take too many photos we carried on. Realising that they work in many different guises' throughout the whole island - on the longboats ferrying tourists back and forth and probably even in a few of the shops. Heading back to the hotel to get changed, we then went out for dinner. Today was a Thai national holiday so the good restaurants were packed - so we were happy waiting for a table. After a nice meal - but forgetting to ask them to ease off with the chilli! We headed down to the beach for a drink and chilled out for the rest of the evening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.444s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.3774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb