BACK ON PARADISE ISLAND


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lipe
March 13th 2009
Published: March 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello bloggers

Well, we really enjoyed Tropic Thunder along with a few beers or in my case a few rums!! The next day picked upby taxi and taken to Haad Son to a fabulous bungalow with a swimming pool that overlooked the sea. We had four nights and really enjoyed it although it did rain for about an hour in the morning - shame! Found a wonderful restaurant called Heavenly (about 100 steps up to get to it - well 50!) good food and lovely people - great view. Apart from sitting by the pool every day and swimming (temp. about 40 degrees) went to Heavenly every evening. On our last day we were supposed to be out of the room by 10.00 and after negotitation we stayed until 4.00 without any extra payment - taxi picked us up then and off we went to the Port for our ferry to the mainland. Obviously it was delayed (no change there) and after boarding had a really smooth and warm crossing on deck. We arrived in plenty of time and after about an hour on the coach we were transferred to an open pick up truck that housed about 12 people plus luggage and drove about 100 miles per hour - scary ride to the station. On arrival plenty of time to kill so had some food from a vendor on the street - very good. Got to station to find that our train was delayed by 2 hours and 40 mins. - SHIT!! that meant instead of 12.10 it was going to be 2.50a.m. Had a sort of discussion with Station Master and was able to change to an earlier train that left at 01.10 a.m. not so bad although we then had to change tickets and get new ones which meant that we had originally booked to bottom bunks on the sleeper train but on this occasion could only get top bunks at opposite ends of the coach! Played cards until the train arrived, being nibbled heavily by mosquitos. Train arrived and then to the bunks - bloody 'orrible. We climbed up and the ceiling almost touched my head let alone poor Bob - really bright lights also. I felt as though as I was going to really freak out but had to psyche myself up big time to just lay down and sleep which I did and Bob also. We arrived at Hat Yai at about 6.30 a.m. and was delighted to leave the train. We were accosted by a tout for a taxi even though we knew there was a bus to take us to Pakbara for the ferry to Koh Lipe. After a bit of argy bargy we decided to take the taxi and arrived at the port two hours before our departure. Had some breakfast and latte and then boarded the speedboat. We were told it took about an hour and a half and despite our journey and sleeping in clothes and being very, very hot we soon discovered that there were Chinese holidaymakers on a bloody tour and I think we stopped at about three different islands - very nice you might say but we just wanted to get to our resort and shower!!!!!! So fairly pissed off with them. Eventually 23 hours after leaving Koh Phangan we arrived at our resort and although we are very fortunate to be able to have this holiday "no gain without pain". We had booked the superior room as the standard were fully booked. Superior really nice and after two days moved to standard - not so good - yes it had air con but cold shower!!! Tomorrow we will try and get back to the superior. Koh Lipe is one of our favourite islands - pure paradise. The beach is amazing and we have now spent two days on the beach in and out of the clear, warm sea - do ya get the picutre? We have had to walk to the main drag where restaurants and bars are through a sort of jungle with no lights - Lyn being a complete woose and jumping at every weird sound. Although one evening we were walking and there was a real heavy breathing noise behind us and even frightened Bob. We both jumped and looked around and there was a Thai man trying to tell us the quickest way into the village - we think! A funny thing we observed this afternoon on the beach were two young Germans throwing a very small, hard ball at each other's torso's with a great force to see how many marks they could make on each other - very supressed these Germans'. We hope to book a snorkelling trip tomorrow to visit four different islands with fruit and lunch included. Only another week to go before we fly back to blighty - boo boo! More photos next time if there is a next time.

LOL Lyn and Bob xx

Advertisement



13th March 2009

Fun in the sun!
Sounds like your having a great time! I have always been wary of "backpacking" but your version appeals even to me! Take care See you soon Cris xx

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb