Scootering around Pai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Pai
May 25th 2010
Published: June 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

In the morning we decided to head off to the town of Pai for 2 nights instead of going up to Chiang Rai which as we were told is similar to Chiang Mai so if we wanted to experience something different go to Pai. Pai (pronounced like BYE) is a small hippy town about 3 hours from Chiang Mai. We hopped in a mini van that drove us over and in through the mountain area to get to Pai.

The roads were sooo windy that I could feel myself getting motion sick...again. But it didn’t amount to anything and we soon arrived in Pai. We were dropped off at the bus station where we decided to walk to a hotel nearby that we heard of to check it out. We ended up staying there and renting our own little bungalow with a bathroom for 250 baht each. Cheap as!

We spent the afternoon walking around the small town and stopped to eat at a very hippy restaurant that had some really amazing food, real veggies for a change!!! Thai food has been pretty killer on the system and although it’s good and cheap it’s not the best for you as everything is either fried or deep fried haha.

That evening we went out to eat at a little italian place we found that ended up having quite good food. Then we found a super cheap internet cafe so we spent an hour or so in there trying to organize a few things for Cambodia.

Day two in Pai saw us renting scooters for 140 baht each including insurance (thats about $5CDN!!!) We got suited up with helmets and then the rental people took us out to a bit of deserted road to see if we could handle driving them on our own. We did fine and we were on our way. There are some waterfalls and just general countryside to see around Pai. THe roads are also quite quiet around here so thats why we felt comfortable renting a scooter there.

Our first stop took us out to a gas station to fill up. As we were pulling out of the gas station I was still getting used to driving this thing I ended up flooring the gas instead of going slow and went flying out onto the road and ended up on the wrong side of the road haha with Michelle yelling at me “What are you doing?” and me yelling back “I don’t know! I can’t stop!!!” Haha. It was all quite funny and some thai people had a good chuckle at my expense i’m sure. Took a bit of getting used to but once I got it figured out it was fine.

We drove out to a waterfall through the back roads and a few times took a wrong turn and thai people would tell us we were going the wrong way. Turning around with the scooter was not that easy at first either so an older thai guy had a good laugh watching us turn around. But we made it to the waterfall that was quite unspectacular. We took a rest stop there and then headed back into town for some lunch. After that we drove out to Pai canyon and the hot springs which we didn’t want to pay for so we didn’t see them (too hot for hot springs!!!)

On our journey back into town we found a public outdoor pool and bar so we stopped in there. Fluid it was called. It was an awesome pool and soooo refreshing after being on a scooter in the heat all day. Spent an hour or so there and then headed back into town. That night we went out for dinner and then walked down into the main part of town and looked at some of the market stalls and we got to talking to one guy and I ended up buying a turquoise bracelet from him that is so beautiful and I love it. I have no idea if it’s real or not but I love it anyways. We heard about a bar to go check out so we headed there for a drink where we met a kiwi guy who was on his own so he joined us.

A new thing that I learnt tonight is that gecco’s can lose their tails when they feel threatened and escape and regenerate their tails. A dog was chasing a gecco around the bar when his tail came off and was wiggling around on the ground for a good 5 minutes. Yikes! But so cool too!!!

We went with our new kiwi friend to another bar where he knew more people and we all got to talking. I met a couple form Edmonton and they were telling me about their trip and what things are like in Cambodia so that was really cool. We went to a riverside pub after that and had another drink before we all headed our separate ways. We are leaving Pai in the morning to go back to Chiang Mai and then a night train to Ayuthaya to see Carolyn!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



17th June 2010

NO MORE DRIVING!! Please!!!!
Why would you try a scooter--- when you hardly rode your bike!!! Stick to tuk tuks! SCARYYYYYY!
17th June 2010

Haha gee thanks Dad!!!!

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb