Temples Tigers and Trekking


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
July 5th 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This morning we woke up and went to Wat Doi Suthep. It took a while to get up there, we had to wait for a lot of people to show up at the Tuk Tuk station before someone was willing to take us up there. Once there we wandered around for an hour hitting bells around the temple. Inside the temple there was a lot of Buddha statues and I got blessed by a monk. It was pretty cool.

After the temple a group of us at the hostel went to Tiger Kingdom. We got to pet baby and big tigers. It was INSANE! It was a bit scary with the big tiger since we weren't around to go towards the front of the Tiger just the back.

The next day we headed out early for a 2 day trek through the jungle. The first day was really hard 5 hours trekking. Along the way we saw a bat cave and more interesting a little bird caught in a net. The guides and us cut the bird out of the net and then brought it to the group to carefully cut around the bird to set him free. After free we fed him a little water in my hand and then let him fly fly away.

Shortly thereafter the guides took us to out hut. It was a nice bamboo hut in the middle of the jungle near a beautiful waterfall. We changed and walked to the waterfall. It was quite nice to shower in a cold waterfall after the 5 hours of hiking.

That night the guides cooked us a nice dinner and we ate at our bamboo hut with the 3 little kittens that were wandering around. Then it was time to sleep. We had a mosquito net to sleep in it was a bit scary. I woke up a few times at night worried that something was biting me. At around 4am the little kitty came in and slept with me till the morning which was really nice.

The next morning we woke to shouting only to find out that it was an elephant handler yelling at his elephant for eating a whole batch of bananas. Today was elephant riding day. We walked down to where they were a took turns riding around on an elephant. It was quite fun. After the elephant we were heading to bamboo rafting. Along the way we had really nice views and even walked through a rice patty area too.

When we arrived at the bamboo rafting it was like the finish line after our strenuous 2 day trek. We hopped on and didn't have to raft we just had to enjoy the scenery. it was a nice way to end the trek.

Another 3 days of awesome traveling done. Met lots of cool people and had great experiences.

Next up Pai!




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.047s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb