Ooop North


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 11th 2008
Published: November 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Typical Bangkok tuk-tuk ride 41 secs
It seems that 'paying it forward' pays off. On our second, and last, day in Bangkok we struck up a conversation with a random Thai guy on the street who sorted us out a tuk-tuk driver who gave us a 2hr+ tour of some of the sights of Bangkok for the 'non-farang' rate of 60 baht (just over £1). Also met another Thai guy in the Lucky Buddha Temple who changed some big notes for us (tuk-tuk drivers, just like cab drivers the world over, never have change!


So we met our friends outside Bangkok station and got the sleeper train up to Chiang Mai. Uneventful.

Hit the ground running in Chiang Mai. Checked into the guest house and got exactly the same room as we had 3 years ago. Felt very much like home. After showing the 'newbies' of our 50 something gang the layout of the town we (all 8 of us) grabbed a songthaew (baht bus) to take us to Doi Suthep monastery, a pretty much 'must see' when you're in Chiang Mai. Negotiated a close to 'local' rate too. Well, it doesn't do to distort the local economy too much, does it.

Mrs Ant persuaded me that is was good for my cardiac health to walk the couple of hundred or so steps to the top rather than take the funicular. So I did. And felt much better for it. Thanks honey, it's nice to know you're still looking after my best interests after so many years 😊)

Off to the NatureLodge for a couple of days today, hope to have some nice pics for y'all when we get back to civilisation. Till then, here's some scenes from Bangkok and the Doi Suthep monastery.

As soon as we got to the room it really didn't seem that long since we'd last been in it, infact Chiang Mai seemed very familiar so we could hit the ground running. I kinda like temples - but being atheist and veggie I really don't see how the monks eat so much dead flesh...... and there's only so many who can rock a shaved head and head to toe orange....




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



14th November 2008

Tuk-Tuk ride
Gee, that video is just like sitting in the backseat when you drive ! Even the same "wrong " side of the street.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb