CHIANG MAI


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post


The next day we decided to hire a car for the day and tackle the CM traffic - Need to have your wits about you, and definitely required the co-pilot (for what I was worth)! Anyway we visited a woodcarving village and then stopped off for some yummy local tucker near the Chiang Mai Zoo. We then spent a few hours driving around the zoo in the stinking hot heat - so lucky the car came with aircon, but we still had to get out the car every now & again to see the creatures on our way around! They also had a shuttle bus around the zoo for those without a car. We wouldn't have contemplated just using our legs, the heat and the hills weren't a good combination!


Later, we checked out our Nancy Chandler map of CM ( which is excellent) and headed for a feed of Japanese in the evening - $18.00 to fill our tummies and was 'brill!

The next day, (Sunday), had our usual yummy breakie for about $8.00 and then headed to the Doi Suthep Temple - another great day.

But....... up here.... the Sunday Market is the place to be.... which begins about 4.00 pm .. So we spent the afternoon by the pool & air con and I well & truely hit the streets at 4.00 pm till 12.00 midnight. Scott & the kids were long gone, but I carried on regardless, until the legs could carry me no more and all was "said" and "done" for the day. It's UNBELIEVABLE! The whole entire old city streets are all closed off, little lights everywhere and just thousands and thousands of Thais and tourists roaming the streets, looking at the local handicrafts, and sampling every single Thai dish and delight you could imagine, even fried crickets, worms, circartas? sp? etc!. (no, I did not try these, (shame on me!!) This market was more a wholesale thing, so only needed a little negotiating and they all offered well & truely reasonable prices.



Bye for now .... but not forever.... from the Travellin' Willies!









Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb