Doi Suthep: The Temple on the Mountain


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
September 15th 2004
Published: September 15th 2004
Edit Blog Post

I'm deleting the text from my old travel blogs here, but leaving the pictures for posterity. Or something.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The stairs to the templeThe stairs to the temple
The stairs to the temple

There's no road up to the temple, just a few hundred stairs.
GrowlGrowl
Growl

Some of the dragons that guard the temple.
Temple doorwayTemple doorway
Temple doorway

The temple is surrounded by huge bells and gongs that you can ring, and the whole thing - each of the buildings, inside and out - is this beautiful and intricate.
face of Buddhaface of Buddha
face of Buddha

This is one of the Buddha images, outside of the Wat. There's this really big, incredible one inside the temple, but I didn't take a picture. Ashlee already offended the monks by stepping on the threshold - I thought it best to just leave quietly.
View from the MountainView from the Mountain
View from the Mountain

It wasn't the clearest day, but there was still a pretty cool view of the city. Chiang Mai has a limit on how tall the buildings are allowed to be, in order to preserve the skyline. In the past 10 years, however, a few big chain hotels have shot up into the sky and gotten away with it. But for the most part, the buildings are all quite short.
Me and the viewMe and the view
Me and the view

Me, sweating as I usually am in this country, and the view from the temple.
JaamsJaams
Jaams

Everyone, meet Jaams. He and Ashlee are my constant companions as of late.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb