False Start


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
November 12th 2011
Published: November 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

English CampEnglish CampEnglish Camp

7-12 year olds ready for learning!
Well what a funny few weeks it has been! After going to Hua Hin and then dutifully getting back in time to go on the English camp (which was in Prachuap, not Pattaya) I discovered that I still didn't need to be at work! However, I went to camp and really enjoyed getting involved with the activities and seeing the children pick up a bit of English. Their English was very poor and, according to my new colleagues, the students at my school are better, but there were a few 'Eureka!' moments that made me very proud and excited to think I had a hand in teaching them a new language. I can't wait to start properly and get to know my own classes. The trip was also a good way to bond with my colleagues and we spent two evenings socialising (drinking) and getting to know each other. We were very well looked after, being fed three times a day by our host school (unfortunately it was rice three times a day, I suppose I might get used to that eventually!) and having our head of department buy any snacks and alcohol that we wanted in the evenings. Can't complain really!

I then headed back to Bangkok to meet up with others who were returning from Ko Tao (which I am still bitter at having missed) and make plans for the next week as my next date to start work wasn't until 15th. I headed out with Holly and Sarah who are both in a similar situation to me, not knowing when they will start work, on that Friday and had a really lovely evening. First being sophisticated in a jazz bar and then not quite so classy drinking cocktails from a fishbowl (at least it wasn't a bucket) and heading to a massive nightclub. Everything shuts down here at 2am so any night out isn't necessarily a late one but it was good to get out and party! We also explored Bangkok over the weekend and found a lovely park just a few stops away on the Skytrain, which we will spend more time at when we are forced to stay in the city instead of travel around!

I'm writing this having just got back from the island of Ko Samet yesterday, which is where we all decided to go as a group on Monday. Unfortunately Holly couldn't come with us as she thought she was supposed to start work, but she also got mixed messages and isn't due to start yet either. Organisation isn't a word the Thais are familiar with, it seems! The island was beautiful and very relaxing. My semi tan from Hua Hin is now a definite tan with some of the group refusing to stand near me because I'm so brown (I'd apologise but I don't think it will do any good!). We spent the first day lazing on the beach and I had a Thai Massage, which was fabulous. Very vigorous and almost painful in some places but the nice kind of pain that you can tell is doing some good. The next day we booked a three hour speed boat trip which took us around the island. We stopped to do some snorkelling, which I tried but definitely wasn't a fan of. It felt very claustrophobic so I stuck to swimming and sunbathing. We also went to a fish farm that, whilst not exactly ethical in the way the animals are kept (very small pens for such large creatures), was amazing to see big sharks and sea turtles so close up.

It was also Loi Krathong while we were there, it's a festival to celebrate the end of the rainy season and symbolises making a fresh start, getting rid of anger and grudges to start the new season on a fresh foot. The 'Krathong' is a small float decorated with candles, flowers and incense sticks then washed out to sea (although we let ours go on a lake as that was where the festival was). It was really lovely to be part of. After that we headed back to Bangkok, hoping to find out more about our schools, but there is no real news. Having begun to look forward to starting work on 15th, it now appears I might not be starting until 21st and am just waiting for confirmation. It may be time to plan another trip...watch this space!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Loi KrathongLoi Krathong
Loi Krathong

My Krathong to get rid of all my grudges and anger - because I don't hold grudges, right?!


27th November 2011

Fun sounds like th operative word! Work? What's work?
Hi Fran, really pleased to see you are having an adventure - worth doing now whilst you can. You say you probably won't start work until the 21st - have you started? We are fine but talk about stress with the new head - how many years to retirement, but of course I forget you are a mere youngster and will be used to the way education seems to be going, whatever happened to the rounded education? Seems targets, results, targets are all we talk about. Probably somewhat different out there though?? If you have only just started work will you be home at Christmas?? Enjoy, lots of love A. Sue

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb