Hey three guesses where I am.... again!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
September 4th 2006
Published: September 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lake TobaLake TobaLake Toba

This was the last place I saw in Indonesia......a collapsed volcano that became southeast Asia's largest freshwater lake.
Bloody Bangkok! Man. I tell ya. So hot here. I guess it turns out my younger brother Derek is coming out to meet me for some travels before he has to start school. I am going to meet him here in Bangkok but in the meantime I'm going north to Chiang Mai (again) for Muay Thai boxing training. It's a big ripoff to do it in Bangkok and in Chiang Mai I can actually live at the gym for about a quarter of the price.
I guess I haven't been keeping anyone intersted with the blogs lately and that's understandable. I haven't been doing anything interesting. From Indonesia we took a boat to Penang in west Malaysia. Ok here's a bit of a story:
We were a bit nervous about immigration because we got that illegal visa extension in Bali. Rhi and I inspected our passports and realized that it was a pretty shady deal. Our stamp said we left Indonesia 10 days before we would have had to, and that we came back after that 10 days. But there was no stamp to say what country we went to, so by looking at our passport we would have had to
Batak styleBatak styleBatak style

Cool houses in north Sumatra.
have been in purgatory for 10 days. I thought," maybe I'm going to rot in Indonesian prison because I wanted to save a buck and not do a proper visa run".
But really I'm not the type to worry too much. We made it through no problem. I think bad things really do happen to people who worry so much. I've met travellers lately in Thailand and it's ridiculous how dangerous some people perceive travelling to be. They can hardly enjoy themselves....malaria, food poisoning, bird flu, pollution, and all this stuff that just doesn't happen on a scale that you should crap your pants thinking about it. It reminds me of a joke that comedian Mitch Hedberg told. He says, "When you see billboard for a casino and it has pictures of a guy holding bags with the big money sign on it it's a lie. That's what happens the least. Perhaps when a restaurant advertises a hamburger they should show a guy choking."
Anyways, I don't like being in Malaysia so we only stayed a couple days took a train to Thailand. Rhi was supposed to be home allready and I was planning to be doing the Muay Thai
Island drunksIsland drunksIsland drunks

Scott and Rhi drinking the legendary Thai whiskey.
boxing training. But, well, there were some islands on the way and we stopped for some good ol' beach time in Koh Samui in the Gulf of Thailand, near where I did my diving certification. It was nice but I'm finished with beaches for a while.
Time to get my butt kicked.
I'll have pictures of me looking like a wuss in my fight gear for you later. And then hopefully my brother has time and money to come to the Philippines with me. Geeze I'll be back in Bangkok in three weeks. Somebody shoot me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Beachy attitudeBeachy attitude
Beachy attitude

I barely made it out of my swim shorts that week.


4th September 2006

Damn Bangkok
Hey S-Club, so glad you're still around and kicking, I was getting a little worried there. Not too worried, since you have a horseshoe up your ass about basically everything. I'm also really glad you didn't end up in prison, and that you also didn't get deported, nobody likes getting deported, believe me. Anyways, Oprah is on right now, and she has a dude on there who's talking about the consistency that yourpoop should be, so tha's fairly fitting since I'm writing to you!!! anyways, I have a fabulous time with the boxing, don't get too fugly with the face shots, and try and get out of that stupid bangkok!!! love ya!

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb