Bangkok continued and journey to Sukhothai.


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 26th 2014
Published: January 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

3 shiny steeples3 shiny steeples3 shiny steeples

View from just outside the Grand Palace.
Good evening from Thailand,

So Carly's entry left you after we had just been to the Khao San Road area in Bangkok, known as a backpacker Mecca for all the bars, street food (including the odd scorpion on a stick) and hostels available. To be honest the area was good for food and drink and we stayed in a decent hostel just 5 minutes away (Samsen Skyline Hostel). The average price we paid for an evening meal including a few drinks was about £4 and the best thing I've eaten so far is a Penang Curry Carly ordered so I only got to try a little bit of it - I think she needs to learn to share more!

On Friday we woke up around midday after catching up on sleep from jumping time zones and headed to the Grand Palace, after Carly got over her heat stroke just outside the entrance. Its one of the more expensive things to do in Bangkok at £10 per person but the ticket does get you into a few other museums around Bangkok if you have the time. Carly would describe the palace as big and shiny and I would say golden.

Yesterday started by waking our hostel owner at 9am and asking what the best way to get to the train station was? He eventually awoke only to say the best way was by taxi. So we set out in search of a taxi and after a quick stop at one of the information booths where the staff wrote down where we needed to get to in Thai, we were in a taxi sat in a traffic jam. Luckily it didnt last too long but it did turn a 5 minute trip into a 25 minute trip. We booked our train tickets for todays travel and Wednesdays travel as Chinese New Year is approaching and the trains get fully booked. After the trains were booked we headed off to Wat Pho which is the site of the 46m long reclining Buddha, we also walked past something called the Giant Swing and the Democracy Monument. After some nice food last night we headed back to the hostel and packed ready to leave early this morning.

We have now made our way up into Northern Thailand stopping at the Ancient Capital, Sukhothai. The journey took about 8 hours and included a
Little statuesLittle statuesLittle statues

The people holding up the tower are meant to be demons.
taxi, train, tuk-tuk, bus and songtheaw which is a little truck which the driver tries to fit in as many people as possible!

We are here for 3 nights before we head on the train again up to Chiang Mai.

Carly's turn to write again next which I'm sure you will be happy about - I've tried to drag this one out so mum has a lot to read to Andy, Dad and Winston!

Kev & Carly

Advertisement



26th January 2014

Sukothai
Dad, Andy and Winston loved your blog and we were just imagining you both in all those modes of transport especially the tuk tuk! Enjoy the bike hire and we look forward to next update!

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb