Sukhothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
January 27th 2014
Published: January 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Pad Kee MaoPad Kee MaoPad Kee Mao

My spicy noodles and Carly's sandwich.
Hello,

Sorry all its Kev writing again so you'll have to wait a little longer for another one of Carly's entries!

The last few days have been spent in the ancient capital Sukhothai. It's split into the New City and Old City and we stayed at TR Guesthouse in the New City. The Old City is about 10 miles away and is where the UNESCO historical park is located with the ruins of the ancient capital. The New City however is where the better guesthouses are and a wider variety of food options. Our guesthouse turned out to be really good and we could tell not just because the first night we stayed there was a sign in the window stating they were fully booked but also when sitting out on their porch over the next couple of days seeing the amount of people arriving in Tuk-Tuk's etc asking if they had any rooms available only to be turned away and have to try somewhere else! The only downside to this place was the volume of mosquitoes but it was the same throughout this area and our legs and feet look a little bit like dot to dot's.
TR GuesthouseTR GuesthouseTR Guesthouse

The porch of our guesthouse - large Chang beer= £1.40 & coke = £0.40.

There was a couple of reasons to stop in this area, the first was to break up the journey to Chiang Mai and the second was to visit the historical park. With three nights here it meant one could be a rest day and one to take in the park. After Carly feeling a bit under the weather on the first day it meant we would have a rest day first and then the park. So not much really to say from the rest day other than the price of fruit is really cheap - we picked up strawberries, tangerines and a whole pineapple sliced into strips for about £2. Oh and if you don't like spicy food do not order Pad Kee Mao! I think my mouth is still a little on fire but it was definitely tasty!

So after Carly was feeling a little better the next day we headed off to the historical park. Really easy to get there as you just jump into an old wooden minibus that takes you right to the entrance of the park for 60p each. We then hired bicycles which cost a further 60p each and paid our entrance fee
On the trainOn the trainOn the train

A blurry view of some Thai countryside.
the park £4.40 for both of us and our bikes. It does cost more to go to each section of the park but we stuck to the main central section. The park itself was very nice, full of ruins from the ancient city and easy to ride around on our bikes.

After finishing our stay in Sukhothai we have made our way to Chiang Mai where I'm writing from at present. The train we were booked on was due to leave at 13:19 so naturally it turned up at 14:32 but it did make a few minutes up on the 7 hour trip and we only arrived an hour late. We did pass through the longest tunnel in Thailand apparently but it was dark in there so can't say much about it.

Carly should be bringing you an update in the next couple of days about our stay in Chiang Mai but for now that's it from me.

Kev and Carly

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb