Buddha, buddha, buddha, buddha... BUDDHA!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
February 14th 2011
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok airport is lovely, although lacking in good food in the arrivals area. However, after a sausage croissant our complacency was shattered by a trip down the freeway in a taxi at 120kph. The speed limit was 80. Also, we learned a couple of road tips - you can make your own fourth lane by driving down the left hand side of the left lane, and a good time to give lectures on road etiquette to motorbike drivers is when you are going past them in the fast lane, through an open window. Strangely, seat belts in the back seat of taxis seem to be widely regarded as undesirable additions which are best hidden away from passengers who might be offended by their presence.

We made it to the backpacker haven of Khoa San road. Whiteys outnumbered Thais about 3 to 2. There were shops and stalls catering to every need, provided you needed a $5 massage, or some Ray Bans, or a (bland) pad thai, or a beer.

A night out on Silom Road proved that gay nightlife has many similarities the world over, although Bangkok has a few tricks all of its own! Best not to say
Come here tiny humanCome here tiny humanCome here tiny human

I want to eat you all up
too much about those though...

We also struck out as far as Chinatown, because we really haven't had enough of Chinatowns yet. We dropped by to visit the five tonne gold Buddha, and met his fat friend. Catching the river boat upstream was nicer than a tuk-tuk, and we then popped in to see the giant reclining Buddha at Wat Pho. I think Nathan is on the verge of achieving Nirvana.

Luckily we have found a new source of funds, by asking for a $1 every time someone offers us a tuk-tuk. The trip should be easily self-financing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb