Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
February 11th 2011
Published: February 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

RubberRubberRubber

Phuket is almost self sufficient in latex, not withstanding the huge amounts used satisfying sweaty fat white people.
We left behind Malaysia and flew into Phuket, Thailand. Our hotel was on the southern end of the island, at a beach called Nai-Harn. Home to a Buddhist monastery, Nai-Harn is said to be the least developed of Phuket's beaches. However we were not actually staying at Nai-Harn beach, but at the nearby town of Nai-Harn, which was quite developed, thankfully, with a full compliment of German-Indian and English-Thai restaurants and many many hostess bars and prostitutes.
The beach was lovely, really lovely. The 40 minute walk to the beach from our hotel (said to be 20 minutes by the staff) was not. After hearing of holiday makers suffering real buzz killing moped accidents on Langkawi, and seeing as we had never ridden one, we have decided to never hire a moped. Or even get on one. Ever. So walking in the heat to the beach proved to be a pretty annoying factor about our hotel. But the beach was awesome, crystal clear water, beautiful sand, laid back beach park with Casuarina and Palm trees instead of condos.
After two days there we decided to move. Thought about Patong Beach but thought better. Phuket seems to be populated entirely by fat middle-aged sex tourists and scabby back-packers with ankle bracelets, crap tattoos and 'dreading' hair. From reports Patong beach is the Mecca of this. Instead we headed to Phuket Town. Given relatively short shrift by our guide books, it turned out to be quite a gem. Firstly we had turned up during the annual Phuket City festival, so the streets were full of night food markets, music and Chinese dancing (yes we ended up in ANOTHER Chinatown). Secondly, there were footpaths. And thirdly the food was amazing. We basically attained our goal in coming to S.E Asia in Phuket City, which was to have these little coconut crisp things with coconut marsh-mallow and shredded coconut soaked in something that makes it orange. We can come home now.
Frank went on a boat trip out to the Phi Phi Islands, which he said was great, although busy and full of Russians. I went shopping and bought cheese, which had been sorely missed. And a special thanks to Miss Wiyada, who made getting around Phuket super easy with her very helpful taxi/tour/everything service.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb