Bangkok - Day 3 - Blisters, Bargains and Buddhas


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 5th 2010
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Jaysus it's hot. Couldn't even sit by the pool. It's baking.

Moo finally found some footwear that she could get on without screaming (bloody socks and bloody trainers, in this bloody heat). Got the Skytrain to the Chao Praya River over to the 'Buddha' area. Stopped over and wandered the grounds of the Grand Palace and Emerald Buddha's temple. The temple was beautiful and no amount of photos (which will come soon, promise) can do it justice. It just sparkles and gleams and in some areas is amazingly intricate in design. Emerald Budda is only about 50 inches high and was originally encased in some kind of stucco until some poor monk dropped and chipped it only to discover it's more colourful side (happy monk after that I imagine). He's not emerald but I would say something along the lines of jade. He sits atop what can only be descirbed an ornate hill of gold (I am no doubt a heathen for saying such a thing). Nice topiary in the garden areas of the palace too.

Rob got haughty looking for toilets. Moo just got haughty in general.

Walked through a Thai market to Wat Pho (reclining Buddha). Again, amazing sight, just absolutely huge. We think about 15 metres high and 50 metres long. The soles of it's feet are encased in mother of pearl. Rob particularly liked the cushion he was lying on (the Buddha, not Rob).

Back to pier and off to Khao San Road (we think this is Thai for 'great unwashed'). Well, you got to tick it off the list haven't you? Backpacker central indeed. Stopped off for well deserved beers and did some bargain hunting. Rob got some good bargains including some Pad thai from "noodle woman" for himself and a bikini for Moo, although she had to wander off when barter time came as she doesn't enjoy it at all. Finally released Moo's feet into some new, loose, flip flops only to discover blister the size of Poland on sole of foot which Rob immensely enjoyed popping whilst Moo wept. Rob can now say 2 things in Thai: 'How much' and 'too expensive' ('tow rai' and 'paeng bai' for those who are interested). Says he can't remember all the other ones he's been taught but never fails to remember these two. Got lost trying to find our way back to the pier and a kind French man walked us through an old, almost missable temple and some hidden alleys in Banglamphu. Was really lovely. Had large bottle of very freshly squeezed OJ from street lady for about 25p. Heaven. The ferry ride back was hilarious. Careering from one side of the river to the other and crashing into the piers. Fuel fumes and filthy water everywhere. Nearly all the passengers, including monks, were in pleats (of laughter that is, not skirts). Captain seemed to be in a terrible rush, must have been on a promise.

Absolutely knackered after 10 hour day walking for 15,000 miles in 36 degree (minimum) heat, so decided to take up hotels free food offer. Rob had scallops starter( most expensive starter available)and terriaki chicken. moo immersed herself fully in thai culture with chinese spring rolls and american burger and chips washed down with Cuban Mojitos!

And now we have spent the last hour writing up this for you, our avid readers, so you are up to date. Yet still no ping pong, will have to wait til Ping Pong Patong in Phuket in 10 days. Whether or not Rob will be able to wait this long remains to be seen. Sulked when he had to put his table tennis bat back at the bottom of his suitcase.

Tomorrow we relax , sight see (as much as moo's feet will let rob!) and prepare for our overnight adventure on the train.

Mood: Moo - very tetchy indeed, f-word used frequently. Rob - high on bargains and free food.
Ailments: Moo - aforementioned Poland-sized blister. Rob - nothing (yet another miracle, must be Buddha's influence)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb