Bangkok - Day 2 - Trains, Trannys and Tantrums


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand
March 5th 2010
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 2:

Woke far too early at 7.30a.m. Moo enjoyed cigarette and coffee at roof top pool whilst Rob faffed about getting ready for a very hearty breakfast (gratis of course). Moo not feeling very hungry (another miracle) so had 2 pieces of pineapple and more coffee. Trundled off to the Skytrain and underground stations to purchase Oyster card equivalents to get us about for a few days. We are only 100 yards from the link station at Asoke so perfect starting ground. Caught the subway to Hualumphong train station to purchase tickets for south Thailand bound train on Saturday. No first class seats left. Moo pissed off. Going 2nd class with just curtains for cover and smelly toilets. Rob's eyes lit up of course, loves that kind of thing. Seeing Moo with haughty/horrified look made it even better. I'm not that bad really, I did actually just shrug it off. Moaned about the toilet situation yes, but I mean, come on. Turned down offer of tuk-tuk from 30,000 drivers outside the station and got the subway to Lumphini Park.

Lumphini park was very nice, very peaceful, took photos of monitor lizards that just roam around. Rob got haughty with man trying to tell us that the Buddha was only open one day per year (precisely which Buddha we didn;t know as none were in the area we were in and we certainly hadn't mentioned any buddhas) then got haughty with another tuk-tuk man. Walked far too far back to hotel and Moo now has the start of foot rot as usual.

Had a couple of hours by the pool and got the Skytrain to the MBK centre but by the time we had eaten it was almost closing time. Just like Erdington market really other than it being a huge 6 or 7 storey, clean, air-conitioned mall but nothing really impressive here. Can get most things just as cheaply in Primarni in Moo's opinion but enjoyed the area it's located in (Siam - very affluent...yuppy/trendy young thais). Had some Thai food on the 5th floor but unfortunately this wasn't enjoyed much either due to overload of lime and coriander. Even Rob found it too 'phet' (hot).

There are a lot of beggars in Bangkok. It's dreadful really, some have their small babies with them. Some babies can also be seen on motorbikes with their parents. it's shocking really. Dreadful.

Oddly enough we ended up back at Nana for a couple of drinks (Rob's suggestion; naturally). Watched the girls ply their wares and embarrass some western men who clearly did not know what on earth they'd walked into. Off to bed at 1 a.m. Rob spotted one tranny with an adams apple the size of a tennis ball. Still no ping pong

Mood: Moo - Tetchy. Rob - Nana'd out.
Ailments: Moo - start of blisters. Rob - Burnt neck.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb