Boiled cabbage, dead flies and Boys (Lady variety)


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
March 5th 2010
Published: March 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 1: (sorry this is late, we are now on day 3.....)

Mood: Moo - slightly frayed, exhausted and raw eyed. Rob - suspicious and wide-eyed.
Ailments: None (miracle)


Arrived in Bangkok after a not too horrific 12 hour flight from Heathrow. Only exception being Moo's meal which consisted of boiled cabbage and some rice and dead flies (or something that looked and tasted like such). Wondered around the airport for half an hour trying to find 'real' taxi's that don't rip you off whilst being offered all sorts of 'special prices' and suit making (??). Humdity not as bad as expected although the Moo-hair frizzed within seconds.

Had mental taxi driver who kept laughing at nothing, waving out of his window and (we're convinced0 drinking his own urine out of an old water bottle. Journey to hotel was around 20km and took over an hour at an average speed of 100mph when actually moving. Eventually located hotel after Moo actually managed to make herself understood in Thai (hurrah, ratio 1:1 so far).

Arrived at hotel to be told that the larger room we had booked was 'a problem' (Julia: got a downgrade here for a change!). Short tantrum from Rob and we have breakfast for free each day and have just enjoyed a 3 course complimentary meal.

After a quick change we mooched about the local area (Sukhumvit) before stumbling into an area known as Nana (local flesh pit). Rob very suspicious of every female's authenticity in the downstairs trouser area and very curious about the Nana couples (older western men and young Thai girls. Of course, it just washed over Moo.

'Tis true that some areas of Bangkok smell like the devil's own vomit and the odd soi (side street) certainly did. Had a couple of beers and people-watched in a girly bar then trundled off and stumbled across a back street chinese shop-house where tempura prawns, green beans (?) and panang red curry were enjoyed and all for the price of a quarter pounder with cheese meal. Spoken Thai was attempted here but not understood other than the word sorng (2).

V V tired so retired at midnightish. No ping pong.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb