Never trust a 20 baht tuk tuk!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
January 12th 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bangkok - possibly the only city where you can be sat in rush hour traffic, worse than that in London, and around the corner comes a man riding an elephant!! Crazy!

I spent a few days in Bangkok staying at the Roof Garden hotel - couldn't actually find the roof garden but at least it was clean and the owners were very friendly. The hotel was behind the temple opposite
Khao San road, i am sure this means nothing to you in less you have been to Bangkok, but the roads here are a bit quieter and so it is a good place to stay. Khao San road is the main backpacker area in Bangkok and is lined day and night by street vendors selling everything from fisherman pants (loose 'fits everyone no matter how much you eat' trousers!) to Pad Thai (noodle based dish - very good!!). At night the street comes alive with music as each bar tries to out play the other, i am glad i decided to stay a little way away from the main strip as there are only so many times you can be offered massages, tailored suits and t-shirts before you go slightly mad. And that is not to mention the countless times you'll be asked if you want a tuk tuk!! Plus infront of my hotel were several street vendors selling very good thai food all for under 30baht (60p).

It is also not a good idea to spend too many nights in this area as they are inevitably messy - well in my case they certainly were! One particular night involved far too much thai gin from the ever friendly locals, followed by many 30 baht beer chang, resulting in dressing up in ethnic minority clothing, followed by an interesting evening in a thai nightclub and a ride home in a tuk tuk with a man who calls himself Mr Thailand!! (Photos to follow!!).

Whilst in Bangkok I would like to say that i saw all the tourist attractions, such as the Palace, but I didn't, and no before you say it mum it wasn't because i was constantly drunk!! I had just had enough of sight seeing in big cities and it takes so long to get around in Bangkok as the traffic is awful, in less you can get there by the river taxis or you are
DSCF3466DSCF3466DSCF3466

Spot the elephant
prepared to risk death and get on the back of a motor bike with a crazy 'i will not stop for anything" taxi driver (actually quite good fun if you are looking for a bit of an adrenaline rush!). But i did check out most of the night markets and this is why i say never take a 20baht tuk tuk!!

........ "Where you go?" "I would like to go to the China Town night market" "You want to see ping pong show?" "No thanks" "But it is the best in town" "I still don't want to see it!" "Ok my friend take you night market" "How much?" "20 baht" "Cheap!!" so having agreed a price with no bargaining straight away off you go to the night market, little do you know that on the way you will be practically dragged into his uncle's tailor shop and then to his brother's restaurant before finally ending up at the ping pong show which you never wanted to see in the first place - even if it is the best in town!! At this point either you remain in the tuk tuk and a very sulky driver eventually takes you to your destination or you get out and take a taxi!! It took us three offers of exceptionally cheap tuk tuks, a lot of friendly banter, and a visit to half of the family owned restaurants in thailand before we learnt our lesson!!

That aside i really enjoyed my stay in Bangkok, it is certainly an interesting city and well worth a visit if only to buy knock off rugby shirts as christmas presents!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb