26/11/08 - 30/11/08 up north and down south


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 3rd 2008
Published: December 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

HELLO!!

Well after our excitement with the tigers, Chiang Mai didn't seem so thrilling ha ha!! We had a little bit of a shop but mostly chilled out in the park as the weather was top notch.

Took a 12hr sleeper train to Bangkok next. RUBBISH JOURNEY NO SLEEP!! We were meant to be on our merry ways home by this point but me and Don changed our flights - and bloody lucky too! The day after we did, Bangkok airport shut and we were due to fly to KL from there!! It was mayhem in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, everyone on the phone and internet trying to get home. Apart from that, we saw nothing worrying but were told to stay clear of airports and government building. So we popped to see a few cultural sights thanks to a helful tuk tuk driver. The main reason of going there was I couldnt avoid it as I had to collect my new ticket from STA office. We did some good haggling on Khao San road and both bought tee shirts ha ha - standard!
Went to Pat Pong area for the night market and had a good drink and dance in the bars... (more about that in a sec).

Bumped into Mitch, one of the guys we met in nha trang a month ago and spent the day chilling with him in the sunshine before catching sleeper bus to Krabi. Was cool day.

Apologies, but there's no way to continue talking about Thailand without mentioning the rather odd sex trade. Please ignore this bit if you dont want to know, gets a bit rude!! It is less apparent in Chiang Mai than in the south but there are many bars geared to entise the male customer (basically full of half naked thai women), and its obvious that drinks aren't the only thing on the menu!! There were also a number of ladyboys at various stages of their ops. And the thing which we really didnt hope was going to be so prominent was the amount of pretty young girls with much older western men. People really do come to find 'thai brides', its not just written in heat magazine. It was quite sad to think how much the thai women rely on sex tourism and how it got to be so out of control. And about Pat Pongs... We spent a few hours and a few drinks plucking up the courage to go to PP's famous attraction. The area is filled with go go bars, prostitutes and dancers and people go to see the 'shows'. I will be blunt here - there's no other way! Women who've clearly been exercising their pelvic floor muscles put in and more worringly shoot out various items from their quims. Most famous being ping pongs, but other items include fruits, razor blades and scarves. Strangely, we never did get the courage to go in. Funny that!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

A monks statueA monks statue
A monks statue

people were buying gold leaf to attatch to the monk for good luck


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb