Oh no, we're back in Bangkok but not for long!!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we came back on a beautifully air conditioned plane, 50 mins from Chiang Mai to Bangkok instead of the 15 hours it took on the sweaty train!!! We are in a small guest house (with no telly to lukes dismay!!).

On Sunday we decided to go to the huge Chatuchak market, only around 8000 stalls! We got up early (at 7, anybody would think we were going to work!!!!) It had everything; clothes, shoes, food, homeware, gifts, plants, statues, electrical goods and even animals (hopefully not to eat, just for pets.) They had siamese fighting fish in separate jars with cardboard between so not to stare each other out (but no photos allowed), dressed up squirrels in boxes that were hidden under the counter (along with other animals) when the market police came by as they are illegal!!! Lots of puppies and kittens that were constantly being washed, fluffed up and dressed up to look thier best for potential new families. Cages of baby rabbits, mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, and all kinds of birds. Washing up bowls full of fish ranging from tiny tiddlers to huge koi carp. Tanks full of snakes of every colour of the rainbow next to boxes of huge hairy spiders and slimy lumpy toads and frogs. The market went on for ever; after 6 hours of constant walking around (and getting a little lost) we decided to give up as we still hadn't seen it all. It was just so big. Then we had to find our way out!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday we decided to go do a last bit of sight seeing before we left Bangkok. We went to see Wat Rajnadda and the Amulet market. Wat Rajnadda is a compound of religious buildings including Loh Prasat. Loh Prasat meaning Iron monastry is a huge temple with 37 metal spires on the top representing the 37 virtues that lead to enlightenment. We climbed to the top of this buildling on the tiny spiral staircase and the views were amazing. It was a very tranquil place and no other soul was there. We had a quick look at the dense amulet market behind the temple then got on a canal boat to try and find Jim Thompsons house. This was quite funny as there were no signs in english as this is generally thai transport around the city. We got on what we thought was the right stop and then off at the next stop in our book. We then tried to find the place only to realise we had got off at the wrong stop and we were about 3 km away!! We decided to walk the rest of the way and finally we got there. Jim Thompson was an American entrepreneur who came to live in Thailand after visiting while he was in world war 2. He put together an amazing home from three traditional thai houses and lots of thai artefacts and antiques. He mysteriously disappeared in 1967. His teak mansion has been kept the same from that day!

Tuesday we got the four hour train down to Hua Hin. It is situated on the East coast of Thailand and is a beach resort. It is the place where the King and Queen of Thailand reside most of the time. It is really nice, has a very long, white, sandy beach and we are situated right on the seafront. The food is really nice, fresh seafood (although a little more expensive than we were accustomed to in Bangkok). So here we've been spending our days on the beach. On Thursday we walked down the beach to Chopstick Mountain, where there is a tall standing Buddha facing out to the sea at 19m tall and numerous Chinese temples. This was a good 7km walk before we walked up the mountain. The views down the bay were very nice. After the 7km walk back, we were very tired but a few beers seemed to soothe the aching muscles.

We plan on staying here a couple more days as its very relaxing and then plan to move further south.

Hope your all ok, love kate and luke xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



11th July 2007

still looking
Hi you two,I am still following your progress,the Zoo animals were good,if you manage a side trip to our Top End,the crocs up there are HUGE. As before keep safe luv the Aussie mob

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb