Life is A Beach....


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
April 24th 2007
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The B2B member’s lives have most certainly changed forever with the experiences that we have encountered over the past 5 months. Haggling has now become an art form and our pigeon English has become slower and clearer, but the most noticeable skill we have developed, is our perfection of the beach lifestyle. Everywhere we've visited we can't seem to stay away from the beautiful white sandy shores surrounded by turquoise seawaters home to tropical fish and amazing coral. This particular lifestyle wasn't going to stop any time soon, as we were heading into Thailand with arguably the most perfect beaches in the world.

Still separated from Jona the three of us flew from Medan to "Malaysia Truly Asia's" capital - Kuala Lumpur, known to the cooler traveller as K.L. Our time was short in the capital, but a great place to start and reacquaint ourselves with western cultures such as sky scrapers, air conditioning and western food - Subway. Behind the closed door of our small and shabby 3-man bedroom the three of us were feeling the strain of a months Indonesian cuisine. Sam had a fever that would strike him down one day and then be fine the next. Duncan was dealing with inflammation of his right foot due to him scratching his mosquito bights, Dr. Scott and nurse Rawlings were on duty to clean the wounds. However, I had problems of my own with a digestion track that changed to a cement mixer that had been left to harden, for 10 days I suffered from constipation (and some serious bloating!)

After doing the touristy parts of 'K.L' we headed north to the Cameron Highlands. An area that was full of tea plantations, strawberry fields and a climate that was cool as the mountains in Europe. Duncan and I were so excited on our arrival as we had heard scones and jam were a specialty in the area. When the time came to sample the Malaysian equivalent of a cream tea we were shocked when the waiter served us a plate with freshly baked scones, whipped cream and Heinz sachet strawberry jam! Duncan's face was a sight!

The area was very beautiful and walks around the town in the cool climate were pleasant as the weather allowed us to stroll sweatlessly. The surrounding area looked very similar to a ski resort in the Alps, with tall chalets that had the Swiss decorative balcony's overlooking the mountains.

After gorging on the strawberries and enjoying the home entertainment system of the hostel we went north to Thailand.

We decided to travel by train. Unaware to us at the time the train system linking Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand was under massive reconstruction and the only time the trains did run were at midnight to two o'clock a.m. So we waited. We waited for 12 hours in a very old train station in Ipoh, the design of the station was grand and very colonial. We spent our time in the hotels bar room playing darts and helping the enthusiastic bar manager win a Guinness competition by re-designing the Guinness signature. The competition finished the day before, we couldn't bring ourselves to tell him.

We took a sleeper train to Hat Yai, the borderline between Malaysia and Thailand. Our plan was to get to the islands as quickly as possible with the sound of the waves calling us and Sam driving us bonkers with renditions of 'Pure Sures' by the All Saints. After 36 hours of travelling we arrived in Aonang, Krabi a small town but big on
Great HeightsGreat HeightsGreat Heights

The Petronus Towers in K.L, Malaysia
the tourism. The town's high street was packed with couples and Scandinavian families on their Easter holiday break. For the three of us it was a massive shock seeing so many white faces in one place again and took a little while getting used to not feeling like the minority.

It took an evening meal before we decided to sample the local tailors. It didn't take long for us to get to grips with the local procedures and various materials flashing before our eyes. We were in a sweet shop, and within an hour we had put down an order for 8 shirts, 5 suits and a coat! We're young, impulsive, but hey we look great.

For the next four days in Ao Nang our lives evolved around the one and only EuroStyle Tailors. In between sewing times, the three of us visited such pleasures as the Crystal Pools and the beach for some tanning time.

When our time did come to sample THE finished product, it was like Christmas excitement for Sam and I after having missed our rendezvous with Santa Nicholas earlier this year. The suits were the crème de la crème of Krabi. Mr
Breakfast ViewBreakfast ViewBreakfast View

The view for breakfast at our guesthouse.
MacDonald and i going for the black and Kashmir Silk and Mr Wise choosing the more, in typical fashion, extravagant green pinstripe and brown corduroy collection.

After months of dirty vests and generally crap attire the feeling of donning a suit, a clean shiny beautiful and grand suit was salacious..... Putting them back in the box bound for Westbury Park it was like sending a child of on a round the world trip. Oh how we worried... The occasional phone call whilst we console each other on tenter hooks. Unbearable.

Arriving on a Saturday afternoon with a plan to party after several weeks of culture, T-total Aceh, diary writing and soul searching, we were ready for a piss up. In the bus on the way there we were asking advice from some Aussie dreadlocked travellers; "What's Phi Phi like?", "Oh you don't want to go there, I mean its paradise but ruined by partying." "Perfect..." we said.

However, to our dismay, upon arrival in Phi Phi the cheaper accommodation was too far from the nightlife. At that point, I remember feeling rather aggravated that we would not be partying once again, and would, instead, have to put
Pure ShoresPure ShoresPure Shores

Phi Phi Lai
up with the blazing sun set backdrop onto the limestone pinnacles of the Andaman Seas. How dare we be so culturally spoiled, to see arguably the most perfect sunset and not be in awe. Jaded..... That dreaded word....

Alas, enter the Memel... A.K.A. Michael Palin Jr. Before us stood a new man, a changed man. But not for long, after Dunc had plied him with some Sangsom Whiskey and told him our plight. He too was on the bandwagon. Can't remember the rest of that night. It of course is wonderful to enjoy countries splendours but one does need a good party every one in a while.

It was great to see the J man again. He was on good form and remains so to this day.

So Phi Phi. The most beautiful place on our planet? Could be.

After feeling bronzed and barred we left. Samwise split to Railay whilst I headed the team in search of our fond friends - Alex & Lisa.

Arriving at the perfect time, we joined Thailand in a celebration for the New Year - Songkran. The festivities last for 4 days peaking on the Saturday with the mother
Asta la Vista, Baby.Asta la Vista, Baby.Asta la Vista, Baby.

Water fighting in Phuket.
of all water fights. Travelling with bags we were ambushed several times en route, by cars performing drive bys with ice-cold water. Watching Jona and Duncan try to reach the bus was like a Hollywood action movie. With heroic twisting of the body and diving in a vain attempt to save their beloved electrical from ruin. The closer we got to the centre of Phuket, the greater the drenching. I felt terrible for the locals on the bus as having 3 travellers on board was a recipe for disaster.

In our time in Thailand I have been blown away by the sheer beauty of the country. But a side that I detest, and hate with a passion, is the old men known to us as the sex pests/tourists, dating the young Thai women. I don't know why it gets to me so much but I really can't stand it. These particular tourists bore the brunt of Jona's ferocious water gun and we took pleasure forcing them to retreat back into their air-con layers.

For any traveller reading, I would heavily recommend Songkran. Although if you are Australian, and are not even permitted to flush the toilet for water
Hitching in the Cameron ColdHitching in the Cameron ColdHitching in the Cameron Cold

Sam & Dunc taking in the cool breeze on the back of friendly truck drivers car.
cuts, perhaps it's not for you.

Now, I said Phi Phi was the most beautiful place on the planet, I was wrong, forgive me, for Koh Tao is actually the most beautiful place on the planet. This Island was smaller and much quieter than Phi Phi and maintained a saucy castaway feel. Although joining back up with the girls it did feel like a bit of a honeymoon what with a daily massage and fine dining. How I wish I had a budget such as theirs.

This Island had it all, million dollar views and fabulous Thai cuisine, not to mention a beautiful Swedish girl called Lisa. The cherry on top coming from a snorkelling experience with Skinny when we saw, much to Sam's chagrin, black tipped reef sharks. Excellent.

Two weeks had flashed by and the time for our initiation was drawing near. I didn't want to leave paradise but the queen of the orient was calling us. All we had to do was reach the fabled city, bequither of many a traveller’s story time - Bangkok.

Samuel and Jonathan to the capital of Siam

After Phi Phi we separated. I (Sam) went to Railay whilst the others went to Phuket. I was recuperating after having sliced my foot on a bottle. To my delight Jona came to join me after a few days of solitude and we made plans. I was beached out - blasphemous I know - and needed some stimulation. So I persuaded Jona to come with me to the north, to Ayuthaya, the former capital of the Siamese Empire.

After a brilliant train ride we arrived in the fabled city. This after having missed our stop - too engrossed in conversation. To our surprise the guard stopped the train and, slowed, we are able to jump off and walk back to Ayuthaya.

On the 20th, we hired a bicycle for 40 Baht and set off temple touring. And a beautiful day it was. Immediately we picked up a companion - Catherine from Paris - and as a three we both lost and found ourselves down the foggy ruins of time, amongst the ruins of the Buddha’s. It is a day both of us will remember me thinks capped with a blazing sunset.

Bangkok

Where better to stay than the khao San road? The hub, the centre, the epicentre of backpacking universal. The appeal is obvious - shopping, educating nightlife and daytime cultural splendours such as, the King’s Palace.

The weekend was spent mainly shopping in the busiest and diverse shopping centres in Thailand. Saturday was spent shopping at the market stalls, which are covered by a gigantic tent. The market is jam packed with stalls and eager shoppers searching for whatever they can think of, the market offers anything from dogs to denim! Sunday was spent in MBK mall, a more organised shopping complex of 9 or more floors packed with shops and stalls. By the end of the second day we were all exhausted and completely shopped out. The malls in Bangkok are not only for the shoppers they are also refuge spots for anyone trying to hide from the 41-degree heat. No Joke. Many come to the shopping centres to cool off and pass the midday furnace.

We learnt this first hand the following day on our visit to the Grand Palace. The architecture was amazing all the palaces had such detail and creative flair, but after 10 minutes of being in the sun we felt like passing out!
The cooler nights were spent sampling buckets of either cocktails or spirit mixers in bars and make shift drinking establishments, such as the VW bar (see photo). Duncan had taken a particular liking to the red bull on offer in Thailand that is used in the bucket mixers. Rumours have it the red bull is an amphetamine rich version of the U.K stuff to give you that Buzz!

Just got to put something out there at this point - loving, Bangkok. Awesome place.

The city had enough to keep us entertained for another 2 months and the country had many more places we would like to see. I think a re-visit will be in order......



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

Lunch at the usualLunch at the usual
Lunch at the usual

You can't beat the local side street deluxies of chicken, lamb or pork skewers.
Suits You SirSuits You Sir
Suits You Sir

Final measurements
Sun Set BarSun Set Bar
Sun Set Bar

Dunc and I with our friends Martin, Jenny, Alex & Lisa.
Bicycle on the Great DayBicycle on the Great Day
Bicycle on the Great Day

Samwise's budget has got quite strict recently...
Cool VW Bar in BangkokCool VW Bar in Bangkok
Cool VW Bar in Bangkok

This little bar was home to 'The Bucket'- a rather large cocktail with lots of straws!
Hi Thai, Hi Thai...Hi Thai, Hi Thai...
Hi Thai, Hi Thai...

Thai Boxing, Friday Night...


30th April 2007

Great blog Al! It's nice to read it from your point of wiew. And of course it's even nicer when wou've mentioned us.. =) Hope you are having a great time in China by now. Im leaving Asia in two days. Back to The Village, where I hope to see you in the summer! Lisa xx
1st May 2007

Hey body, what's up ?!
Did you really buy this green thing sam???? I knew your " extravagant side" but... My friends and I agree to say how horrible it is!! ;.) Aline says she would loved to welcome your friends this at any time! How lucky you are, the fotos are amazing. Ici il pleut comme vache qui pisse. Enjoy china! Bisous de nous 3 PS: who is the blond girl? !!
9th May 2007

Guys you're looking great!
I love reading your blog so keep up the effort! Samwise, looking fly as in the green! Love the style, don't listen to those frenchies ;-) And jona, you are truly the top gun. Miss you all loads xxx
31st May 2007

what a wonderful trip. guys, i can't believe it. now, as you are travelling, i would like to be on tour as well with you, the legendary bristolians... hehe. My plan this summer was, to go to the same destinations as you've already been so far. What a coninsidence this would have been if i met you again on the other side of the world... well, keep on updating us with some news and pics. take care! marcel

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb