Weekend in Unawatuna


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Unawatuna
June 30th 2009
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

28 June

Much better weather today. I went for walk to the pagoda/temple this morning and sat at watched the water blowing into the blow hole, which is where Sunset Point is as well, a very nice spot to watch the sun setting, could be very romantic if I wasn't on my own! Will have to bring Bertha, Trin and Sal up when they arrive!

Met a local man along the way who listens to ABC radio and knows an incredible amount about Australia. He was naming politicians left and right, along with long past ones, like Bob Hawke, Gareth Evans. The man is a coconut farmer and his father is a teacher and they have a library, which he is very proud of. His English was great and his knowledge of Australia from politicians, to sport (cricket of course, but he did throw in Stephanie Rice!) to music was astounding. He would like me to come over for some coconut juice and check out his library! I am sure if I don’t run into him again, he will find me

On my way home, I ran into Norman. Norman is a local, educated at one of the best schools in Galle and has spent a few years overseas in Germany and other European destinations and he is completely eccentric, he would be around 50 or so with graying dreadlocks, he is very friendly and what is his is yours! Norman lives in a disused restaurant. He makes money on weekends by charging people to use the showers on the outside of the restaurant when there is water, and charges some people, depending on if knows them or not, the use of beach chairs, mostly in a state of disrepair. He is always telling me to come by and sit with him (no charge!) Apparently to Norman, everyday is Sunday! He is fed by local families and they all seem to look up to him!

Had some time at the beach as well, water is quite rough due to the monsoon, but not rough enough not to swim, it amazes me the amount of people, locals and tourists, that walk straight into rips. Some education on the dangers would be well worthwhile.

Then, home for a beer and watch the monkeys play. At this time, was when I noticed that something had chewed a hole in my gingernuts...upon further inspection there were some mouse droppings! Bloody meeya! (Meeya is mouse/rat in Sinhalese). Baba came to the rescue with medicine to get rid of them and this morning they had eaten it all, so we will see.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb