Observations


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Unawatuna
June 30th 2009
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

MonkeysMonkeysMonkeys

On the wires outside my house.
As I sit on balcony at different times of the day there is any number of people walking past selling all sorts of things. We have the Maalu (fish) man selling his catch from the mornings run, we have the man selling Kiri which is milk and curd from his buffalo that roams in front of my home, on the weekends we have the ice cream man on his bicycle, his version of green sleeves is a pump type horn incessantly blown down the street (god knows how he keeps the ice cream frozen..), there is also the man selling lottery tickets, he has a microphone hooked up to a car battery attached to the bike and he rides along announcing what lottery is on sale today! And sometimes if you are lucky to be at home, the man with fresh bread will do a run around the local streets. Bread is baked twice a day so you are always ensured fresh bread, and it is pretty good stuff!

I am constantly amused by the amount of locals that come into the paddock I look onto and shimmy up the coconut trees like monkeys. They are getting coconuts to sell on the sides of the road for about 40 rupees each and this is how they make their living. The kinds of coconuts are for the juice only and it is very refreshing and good for a hangover! Other locals come to the paddock to collect palm fronds and other bits of trees to use for burning. Most people here dispose of their rubbish by burning it.

And speaking of monkeys, I am woken up by them most mornings, however I hadn’t seen any until this evening, when the whole family came out to play. They were swinging like tarzan from tree to tree, then the ran down the power line which is about 2m from my balcony! They were playing hide and seek with me as I was trying to get photos! They would come close then turn around and run away, they are incredibly fast, hence the blurry photos! Cute rabies ridden things they are!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb