Background: Korea was an independent kingdom under Chinese suzerainty for most of the past millennium. Following its victory in the Russo-Japanese War in 1905, Japan occupied Korea; five years later it formally annexed the entire peninsula. After World War II, a republic was set up in the southern half of the Korean Peninsula while a Communist-style government was installed in the north. During the Korean War (1950-53), US and other UN forces intervened to defend South Korea from North Korean attacks supported by the Chinese. An armistice was signed in 1953, splitting the peninsula along a demilitarized zone at about the 38th parallel. Thereafter, South Korea achieved rapid economic growth with per capita income rising to roughly 14 times the level of North Korea. In 1987, South Korean voters elected ROH Tae-woo to the presidency, ending 26 years of military dictatorships. South Korea today is a fully functioning modern democracy. In June 2000, a historic first North-South summit took place between the South's President KIM Tae-chung and the North's leader KIM Jong Il.
Photos from Ulsan
Blogs from Ulsan
Latest Blogs from Ulsan
- April 4th 2013 Bye Bye Korea!
by Words: 1382 Photos: 5
- January 26th 2013 Circumnavigating this Blogoshpere
by Words: 1415 Photos: 0
- October 17th 2012 My Angel Mother Visits Korea
by Words: 1458 Photos: 23
- September 11th 2012 "Alien! Stop hitting T-October!" 2nd Week of Teaching in Korea
by Words: 972 Photos: 16
- August 30th 2012 "Teacha! Teacha! He? He?" "Noooo, 'she' I am a girl."
by Words: 876 Photos: 11
- October 8th 2011 Ulsan For You
by Words: 1321 Photos: 11
- June 11th 2010 We're Soaring, Flying!
by Words: 1627 Photos: 31
- February 20th 2010 What you've all been waiting for :)
by Words: 103 Photos: 99
- December 26th 2009 A bit more of Christmas
by Words: 212 Photos: 43
- December 25th 2009 A Kindy Christmas
by Words: 63 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2009 Christmas Eve in Ulsan
by Words: 333 Photos: 31
- December 15th 2009 Nothing to do while working the nightshift in Korea
by Words: 440 Photos: 0
- December 14th 2009 First Travel Blog
by Words: 965 Photos: 0
- July 28th 2009 The Kennedy's Tour Asia - South Korea
by Words: 359 Photos: 26
- January 31st 2009 Rockin' Ulsan with H.A.I.L.
by Words: 342 Photos: 21
- January 6th 2009 New Year in Ulsan!
by Words: 468 Photos: 3
- December 16th 2008 Snowboarding and Wandering...
by Words: 820 Photos: 19
- November 24th 2008 Settling Down
by Words: 906 Photos: 10
- November 13th 2008 Arrival
by Words: 819 Photos: 24
- November 19th 2007 Apologies
by Words: 84 Photos: 0