Day 2 - Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
September 4th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Had breakfast around 9am in the hostel - not too bad as breakfasts go!

After breakfast Nic, Debs and I got the mrt (the tube) to Raffles hotel. The mrt was amazing so clean compared with the tube and only around 60-80p. They have this thing where the ticket you get is a plastic card and at the end of the journey you put it back in the machine and get a $1 refund. At the hotel we took some photos of us lounging around and then wandered around the shops, these were nice but expensive. Thre hotel was beautiful. Raffles is where the last known native Singaporean tiger was shot. Raffles is also where the Singapore sling was created however at $30 (£15) we gave these a miss.

We then walked to the Marina and 2010 youth olympics games site. There was a lot of building work going on at the Marina, but it was still nice. On the way to the marina we came across a man selling blocks of ice cream inside coloured bread, naturally we had to try some... And it wasnt bad. Around the marina area we saw the Singaporean version of the Sydney opera house. All the buildings here were very modern. We also saw them setting up for the Grand Prix which actually goes through Singapore in a few weeks (quite interesting). After this we took a walk through Singapore back to our hostel. On the way we passed parliament house - very unimpressive and grey!

After some snacks and a rest at the hostel we got the mrt to the Singapore flyer - singapore's version of the London Eye. When we got there it was nearly dark and as we went around it turned to darkness - fantastic views from here.

We then got the mrt to Chinatown. Loved it here! It was little streets with Market stalls and food places. We went to smith street where there were many street vendors. I had a great meal from here with a tiger beer sitting in the street. After popping into a stall to buy some bracelets we hopped on the mrt and came back to the hostel.







After some snacks and rest at the




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



7th September 2010

Singapore
Sounds like you're having a great time. Can we see photos yet xxxx
8th September 2010

I'm working on photos, but the computer/internet is VERY slow!

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb