Lyn&Bob


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
February 8th 2009
Published: February 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone

SINGAPORE/HO CHI MINH CITY

Well here we are. Our first stop was Singapore - what an amazingly clean city. Hotel was very welcome after 12 hours flying. We arrived at our hotel at 9am and were told that our room would not be ready until 2pm so in desperation we took a smoking room with twin beds! Promptly fell asleep until about 3.30. In the evening we took a stroll down by the river and was pestered to eat in various restaurants. We finally took refuge in a bar. Drinks very expensive 650 a pint. Later we ate in a marketplace cafe and had a very cheap Thai green curry and Chicken Tom something - less than 4.00 pounds. After an early start took the hop on bus and visited China Town, Botanical Gardens which was absolutely exquisite - the wonderful orchids. Stopped off for an iced coffee/tea and was rudely introduced to the "toilet". What a nightmare - hole in the ground where you had to squat - no bars to hang on to and piss everywhere - slippery. I did manage to squat down but was afraid that I was going to fall back and make a splash - scary! Still must get used to it. Then on to shopping mall and shops - Bob as usual was not amused - tough shit! I looked around the flower garden. In the evening visited Raffles where Bob had a Singapore Sling (14 pounds)! On the way back we found a lovely eco friendly cafe and had a good meal with profits going to "good causes" in Asia.

After a very disturbed night's sleep - one of the lights in the bedroom suddenly came on at 12.30 and phone rang in next room at 3am - man holding loud conversation - bastard! Flew to Ho Chi Minh today and arrived midday. Good hotel clean and comfortable. Ventured out earlier this evening to your worst nightmare - well mine anyway. Hundreds of motorcycles/mopeds/taxis just coming atcha. Crossing the road was very scary and not helped by bellboy in hotel telling us that a couple of people had been killed crossing the road last week! Although there are traffic lights not a lot of attention is paid so you just have to take your chances and dodge. Had a few well deserved beers in a nice bar - had quite a bit to drink and bill was only 8 pounds - Bob a lot happier. Just finished our dinner of Veggie Curry with Tofu and Chicken with Ginger. As I am writing this the tension is mounting regarding getting back across the bloody road to our hotel. Tomorrow we will decide on our next destination.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb