Finally in Asia


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore
September 30th 2007
Published: September 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We can't beleive we're finally arrived. After 21 hours on a plane and the airline losing Alex's bag in Dubai we arrived one bag short in Changi Airport, Singapore.
We were taken to our hotel, The Royal Peacock, and in desperate need for a toilet, we were shocked to find that what we thought was a closet door was indeed our restroom. After finally falling asleep we awoke the next morning, however as there was a lack of windows (any) in our room we failed to realize it was only 3 a.m. Ashley is yet to correct her sleeping habits and still wakes everyday at 5 a.m.
When heading down to breakfast we were surprised by the cultural mixing of food....Asian noodles and Western pancakes with Sausage (actually just hotdogs).
We spent the next two days in Singapore taking part and observing the national obsessions...shopping and eating...we fit in perfectly. It was an unbeleivable sight to see mall after mall on Orchard St. These malls would put American malls to shame... at least 10 stories and organized by store type. After receiving dirty looks for Ashley's reveiling outfit (plain old shorts and a t-shirt) she went in to buy a pair
...Bathroom!!...Bathroom!!...Bathroom!!

Don't you just love the 4 ft shower?
of pants and was very upset to find out she is considered a medium in Asia and even more depressing was that Alex was unable to find any pants above the size of 30 and any shirt to fit (as a shirt marked XXL was like a medium at home). So if you don't want to feel bad don't shop for clothes in Asia!!
Singapore was a good place to start off as it was mostly english speaking and very orderly and clean. Unfortunately we had to leave or else our money would of run out quickly!
It was our original plan to catch a ferry to the island of Sumatra, Indonesia, however it seemed impossible to get any information about the ferries. So instead we are heading to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

7 Eleven7 Eleven
7 Eleven

These are everywhere.
Roof topRoof top
Roof top

Singapore was a nice mix of traditional Asian and Western architecture.
Tree lined HighwaysTree lined Highways
Tree lined Highways

Who would have thought a highway could be so beautiful. We found Singapore to be a very green city.
10 Floors of Shopping!! 10 Floors of Shopping!!
10 Floors of Shopping!!

We spent the afternoon in this mall...failing to realize this was only the first of many malls on this street.
??Mystery Fish Part????Mystery Fish Part??
??Mystery Fish Part??

This came on Ashley's plate and thinking it was parsnip she tried it. Not telling Alex of the extremely fishy taste and strange texture he had a try also. Haha...still yet to find out what it actually was.
Bridge to MalaysiaBridge to Malaysia
Bridge to Malaysia

Sad to leave and wondering what adventures are to come.


1st October 2007

hey good luck on your travels!
Wow!! I wish i could have joined you! Alex you must be the biggest fellow there. lol Iam sure you guys are having a blast, and Ashley is fluent in Chinese so that must help, ya right!!!! Are the rucksacs big enough for all ashleys shopping?

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb