Magellan's Cross on Homonhon Island


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Samar
May 13th 2002
Published: September 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I'm back in Homonhon Island. I took the land trip again with Lina and her daughter this time. Emie's niece is getting married after the town fiesta. I'm glad to be back. My first stop is Habag town in Homonhon and afterward I'm going to Bitaugan to stay with Emie and her family.

I walk around town with Lynie (Lina's daughter) and Liza, her cousin who lives there. I was able to visit Little Habag, a few minutes walk from the plaza (my point of reference; it's where the basketball court is located). We visited Mana Naning and her family. I didin't know there was another "baranggay" in Habag. I was not able to go there before. There are fewer houses here.

I was able to talk with Mana Naning and she told me about the other towns of Homonhon like Suluan (it's across the main island of Homonhon) where she used to be assigned as a teacher. She told me about the lighthouse over there. When I met with Emie, I asked her if we can tour the other towns. Emie went to see Papa Ramon, to ask if we can hire his banca for the tour. It was good that he is available on the day we are to tour.

Emie prepared our food. We left early. We were five people travelling. (Emie, Mark, Papa Ramon, another man who helped in sailing the banca, and me). We left Bitaugan Daku early in the morning. Our first stop was Suluan Island. It was a "wavy ride", everybody was calm because Papa Ramon knows the sea route. It was about two hours boat ride.

We arrived at the "port" of Suluan and we introduced ourselves to the locals in the "port" and made our intentions known to them. The locals were very friendly. We stopped by the church first. The houses in the town by the main road looked different from the ones in Habag or Bitaugan. They were constructed in cement and colorful. We walked the main road leading to the white beach and crystal clear waters. Further down the road was the steps leading to the lighthouse. We just walked up about one-fourth way, we didn't have much time to explore Suluan for this is a day trip only.

As we were taking pictures in the steps. We noticed there were a group of locals getting "buko" (coconut). They gave us coconut to drink and eat. That's what's special with coconut, a "fruit" you can eat and drink. Afterward, we walk back to town and thanked the townsfolk for welcoming us into their town.

We are off to Pagbabangnan where Ferdinand Magellan first arrived in the Philippines (according to the locals). Ferdinand Magellan was a Spanish navigator. His name appears in Philippine history books as he rediscovers the Philippines (on his way looking for Moluccas, the Spice Island). As we arrived, I notice that the shore was rocky and waves were strong. I'm excited to be able to visit this place. On the 100th year anniversary of Magellan's landing here, Mark (Emie's husband) informed me that the King Juan Carlos of Spain went to visit this place.

The place remained intact as I can observe. There are no houses in the area of the Magellan site. We had our lunch here. We took a dip in the small spring where Emie said, may have been Magellanand crew's source of drinking water. The cross that stands here now is not the original one though as the locals told me. There is also a Magellan's cross near the Sto. Nino Shrine in Cebu City. If you are a history buff, you may want to check about the Magellan's cross found in the Philippines.

This is the highlight of my trip this time, visiting Suluan Island and Magellan's Cross in Pagbabangnan. I was also able to go with Emie to the town fiesta in Inapulangan where I met Lina as they have relatives there too. It's a town also by the beach. Back at Emie's place, we also went to the spring just a few minutes walk at the back of the Public Elementary School.

I went back to Manila via Philtranco bus. It looked like a cargo bus as there was a room full of boxes at the back. It's still the same, the aisle seats were full as we traverse through towns, passengers kept coming in even if there are no more seats.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



26th February 2008

Reunion in Homonhon
I was born and raised in Casuguran Homonhon Island but I've never been there for almost 30 years now.I really miss the island especially our barrio Casuguran.Napakalaking kasiyahan ang ibinigay sa akin ng travelblog ni Ms Agnes Lim dahil nakita ko ang mga lugar na di na napupuntahan sa Homonhon.Talo pa nga niya ako kasi di ko pa nararating ang dinaungan ni Magellan,ang Cantilado...pero mayroon lang po akong gustong linawin,nakarating po sila sa Suluan Island na sabi nila part of Homonhon,hindi po kasama ang Suluan sa Homonhon kasi bukod siyang isla.Pagkatapos,ang mga barangay po doon ay hindi pa po town....simpleng barangay lang po sila.Homonhon Island and Suluan Island are under the municipality of Guiuan...Guiuan is our town..pero nagpapasalamat ako sa kanya at napasaya niya ako sa mga pictures na inilagay niya.Salamat Ms Agnes Lim....Regards sa mga taga Homonhon na makakabasa nito lalo na ang mga taga Casuguran miss ko kayong lahat....
23rd June 2008

magllas celebration on march 16,2008
homonhon island_isang lugar kung saan aymagaganda ang mga tanawin. ang homonhon isalnd ay bibubou ng 8 baranggay ito ay ang casuguran,bataugan,habag,inapulangan,canawayon,culasi,pagbabangnan at cagusuan ang casuguran ang panaka sentro ng homonhon island, eto ay naka harap sa pacific ocean kung saan ay masisilayan mo ang apgsikat ng araw sa bahaging eto. Sa casuguran ako nagtapos ng elementary at high school at ngayon kasalukuyang nag-aaral sa kolehiyo. ang barangay casuguran ay isang may mababang paaralan yon ang casuguran elementary school at ang homonhon national high school. Sa homonhon NHS ay nakilala kung ang naging tunay kung mga kaibigan na sina PERDO BADENAS,RAVIE BAGOON,JOHN PATRICK BONTIA,JULY BADENAS,ROMEO ABRENICA,MARLON BAGUINON sila ang naging inspirasyon ko sa buhay......!!!!! (7 BAD BOYS in HNHS...... musta nA guys....?
5th April 2009

hi
yeah the place id great, with great and nice people and I' am proud to be one of them,i missed that island so much,.. so ti everyone out there, try us, include us in your list and lest discover the island where Philippine were first known to all..
29th May 2009

fiesta in inapulangan
what a place! what a beautiful place. i'm really glad to be there. so many beatiful place. i wish i could go back there next year.
3rd October 2009

B-CHARM'D GIRLS
I was born at homonhon island sa brgy. pagbabangnan matagal na poh ako na hindi nakakauwi there. hehehe nakakamiz na ang mga place na lagi naming pinupuntahan ng mga kaibigan ko. just like linao na laging hindi nalilimutang maligo dun lalo na kapag my okasyon....hayyy!!!!!!!!!!!i rily my love homonhon island....as in nakakamizzzzz sana lang makauwi na ako para naman makita ko ulit ang mga tantwin dun..... uhm, through thiz picture kahit papanu nabawasan ang lungkot ko......tnx poh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1hindi lang mga tanain ang namimizzzzz ko pati family,yfc,couzns,barkada,and my niece and nephew...gosh!!uhm, by the way dyan pala ako nag graduate sa hnhs... and john anthony was one of my clazmate....uhm,,,to all b-charm'd girls...bryan rose,cherry may,angelie,rashell,regene,marose,melissa,diosa and dinah muzzzzta na girlzzzzz???????????mizzzzzzzz u all wag magparami ng bf..... hehhehehehhehehehehehehehehehe........and mzzzzzz u homonhon
23rd October 2009

Mga cagusuanon kumusta kayo lahat
God bless and thank you to you miss Agnes Lim at nakita ko sa net ang homonhon island at ang lugar na kung saan nag landing si magellan and we are very proud the place where we born, there no place like home.At kahit na taga homonhon ako sa barangay cagusu_an di pa ako nakakapunta sa magallanes na kung saan nakatayo ang cross. Ipinag mamalaki namin ang homonhon island na napakagandang lugar lalo na sa magallanes sana pag dating nang araw maging tourist spot din ang homonhon island...........Again thanks miss Agnes Lim .............
25th February 2010

Been here, too!
Went to Homonhon with 2 of my friends around 5 years ago. We didn't know anyone from the island. Imagine their surprise when the people saw 3 strangers emerging setting their feet on the island's shore. We only took a very small boat...that luckily was able to cross the Pacific Ocean. The waves that day were so huge that my friends had thought we were going to die...haha! They allowed us to stay in the Rural Health Unit of the island since it is typically not occupied by any patients (no doctors!). The beaches were immaculate. Too bad all our pictures got wiped out. All I have left are memories of that sweet place. Sadly, the mining activities there are destroying the island.
17th March 2010

sana may roon kayo photo ng pag landing ni magellan gawan nyo ng paraan.para ang turista mag search nalang sa computer kaysa pumunta pa sa homonhon island
magellan
8th July 2010
walk by the beach

if im not mistaken this is the way to torre of suluan!!! i love the place so much!!!
15th September 2010

i Really miss this place..............
It'S almost 2 yrs. na nga waray na ak makakabisita hah homonhon kung saan un ang lugar na kinalakihan ko....i really miss my auntie,my Lolo,relatives,friends,classmates,my former gf there,and etc.....sana lahat kayo ay nasa mabuting kalagayan at malusog ang pangangatawan.....and also i'm hoping na maka-visit n ak ngada soon.....ak mga klasm8 and fwnd study hard muna taung lahat so that we can fulfill our dreams in life...hehehe...drama....bstah study hard nla kita tanan...ok?.....i misssssssssss u all...and i mizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz u homonhon.....love u all....and also i would lyk to thanks to the person who post this picture...thank you very much....sana damu pa nga picture 8 m ma-post.....bye-bye......mwaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........by evan....batch 2008-2009.....
25th November 2010
Suluan Town

i know this place
i love this place so much,
13th December 2010
smile

funny face
..heheh cute mo neth2x..
31st March 2011
reunion

there is no place where in like home (brgy bitaugan) a peaceful island,
19th April 2011
White Beach, Suluan Island, Eastern Samar

I am very proud of our place,,the sulu-an island!Our white sand is the same as boracay.
19th April 2011
refreshing coconut

Wow,,coconut,,huh! I also love eating coconut,, You know its really tired to climb into the lighthouse! Ive climb the lighthouse once a year! even my grandmother was angry.. Id love it!
19th April 2011
walk by the beach

,,sa panlilihiyan yan!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0717s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb