Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
February 22nd 2010
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We've spent 7 days in Kathmandu, and 16 days trekking in the Himalaya...and we still have 3 more days in the craziness that is Kathmandu. Kathmandu has been interesting and enjoyable, but the constant noise, insane streets, and completely different standards of cleanliness have left us looking forward to our next destination - Thailand. We hope to find some peace on the beach.

I'll try to give a brief re-cap of our trek to Everest Base Camp. It was long ride, 16 days or a half month hiking all day then crowding around a fire at night and trying to sleep in -5C rooms. Some lodges didn't have an indoor bathroom, so a 30m walk at night was necessary for those not willing to use a water bottle. I have to say this would have been terrible, but the perfectly clear views of stars against a silhouette of mountains that could be seen was well worth it. It is easy to keep going and pick out the inconveniences of trekking and staying in lodges, but its a small price to pay for the adventure. I do have to mention the problems we went through though:

- food poisoning/stomach bugs for both of us - lots of Imodium and antibiotics
- frostnip...didn't realize gloves were necessary at all times, even in the bathroom
- running out of money...we realized this too late and there are no ATMs, and no one takes visa or debit of course. luckily we met Dean who spotted us some money until we finally got a cash advance in Namche. we shared Dal Bhat many nights and ordered the cheapest things on the menu.
- altitude sickness...loss of appetite, headache, fatigue, nausea. We had to descend, which set us back 2 days
- our porter/guide got altitude sickness as well and had to descend. We got to experience carrying all our stuff and guiding ourselves through snow covered trails over 5,000m into the mountains.

Even with these problems, we somehow made it to base camp, and it was all worth it in the end. These setbacks just made the final accomplishment that much sweeter.

Another highlight of our trek was celebrating Losar (Tibetan new year) with some locals in Phakding. Dancing, singing, eating, and drinking with some very friendly people. The next day we saw alot of the people from that night on our
The view from aboveThe view from aboveThe view from above

Looking down onto Namche Bazaar from 100m above it.
way down, exchanged a "Happy Losar" and even were invited in for lemon tea.

For our remaining days in Nepal, we intend to slowly see parts of Kathmandu and do our best to live on a shoestring budget. We've spent all our nights in Hotel Encounter, $6 US a night, free internet, and friendly staff. Now we wait in anticipation for Thailand...

(Photos done by Jamie, text by Paul)


Additional photos below
Photos: 94, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Paul in the HimalayaPaul in the Himalaya
Paul in the Himalaya

When we came to Nepal we thought we would be trekking in the Annapurna Region, but weather conditions, and a bit of ambition drove us to the Everest Region. What a journey!
Standard BedroomStandard Bedroom
Standard Bedroom

Most every room we stayed in looked like this. As we ascended we gradually added more layers of clothing while we slept as well as more and more blankets on top of the already -20C sleeping bags we were using.
Buddhist carvingsBuddhist carvings
Buddhist carvings

These carvings were scattered throughout the trail and were said to bring goodluck. Perhaps they had run out of all this said "goodluck" as Paul and I battled, food poisoning, altitude sickness, frost nip, running out of money, 2 snow days, and losing our guide for the most important day: heading to Everest Base Camp. Regardless, we made it there and back, safe and sound.
Local work-horsesLocal work-horses
Local work-horses

Paul caught this horse and I relaxing during his break. I chose not to lay a hand on him, as I felt he was giving me the "side-eye" while I was standing near him.
Dogs, Water and a Break?!?!Dogs, Water and a Break?!?!
Dogs, Water and a Break?!?!

... Sounds great to me :D Couldn't be happier!
Day 2Day 2
Day 2

Still impressed by all the sites!
A usual site...A usual site...
A usual site...

There was rarely a time when there weren't Yaks in site (or mountains for that matter, but that's a given)
Save the Musk DeerSave the Musk Deer
Save the Musk Deer

Rocks scattered throughout the trails had msgs written by school children advising travellers and locals to be mindful of local wildlife.
Entering Namche!Entering Namche!
Entering Namche!

After a strenuous 1000m ascent and 100m decent, for a total of roughly 6 hours hiking, we finally made it to Namche (~3400m).
Camp de BaseCamp de Base
Camp de Base

Our lodge in Namche Bazaar
Self PortraitSelf Portrait
Self Portrait

While our porter/guide was off having a cigarette, Paul and I managed a decent self portrait of the three of us (Paul, Everest, and myself) :D


22nd February 2010

Craziness! I'm glad you'll get to relax in Thailand, but beware of tidal waves lol, I was watching a video of them (because I have nightmares of them haha) and all of them were coming from Thailand lol!!! I liked the photo of you, paul, and dean and the dog posed too! :) It was cute, plus all the awesome landscape shots! Seemed exciting! Love you!
1st March 2010

Congrats!
Hi Paul and Jamie. Congrats on making it to Base Camp. Your beautiful pictures bring back memories. Hopefully, you have a less challenging relaxing holiday in Thailand. At least you won't have to fight the altitude and hopefully not the weather. Have fun guys! PS. Hey Jamie, how did you enjoy the Dhal Bhat? Little bit different than what you are used to back home I imagine.
3rd March 2010

Wow
Wow. Your trip to Nepal looks absolutely amazing! And you climbed to Mount Everest without a guide!!!! That's so crazy!! Although I must admit, I was expecting something a little more substantial at base camp rather than just a rock with some sheets drapped over it. lol That must have been magical walking trekking through the mountains like that. Plus you got to experience the village life, visit buddhist temples and monasteries, and you even saw a Hindu god!!!! Lucky!
6th March 2010

Uncle Alex, Thanks for the congrats. It was neat to recognize things we had heard from you as well during our trek. Jamie enjoyed Dal Bhat, little more the Bhat than the Dal though lol. We're already enjoying a relaxing time in Thailand and haven't even reached the beaches yet!
14th March 2010

Postcard
Hi guys! Thank you so much for your postcard, which is now displayed on the whiteboard of our kitchen! Bradley told us you had quite an adventurous time in Nepal! But you survived like heroes, that's great! Good continuation of your vacations! ...And always W Pictureka!

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb