Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland
January 22nd 2010
Published: January 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Front Gate to the CityFront Gate to the CityFront Gate to the City

This small portion of the city wall is all that remains
With our time in Poland coming to a close tomorrow, we are now 10% in to our trip. Our stay here has been quiet, cold, smokey (people are allowed to smoke inside), but still very rewarding. We had an informative and eye-opening visit to the concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau - which was a main reason for stopping in Poland. A short train ride to the town Wieliczka to see the salt mine was a unexpected enjoyment! The Poles that we encountered were all very kind and warm, even though some look to have a rough outer shell. Overall, we had a great and relaxing 6 days in Poland.

Next stop, London England for 2 nights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

BarbianBarbian
Barbian

Very first barricade an intruder would need to pass before entering the Krakow city walls. Should the intruder be caught inside this barricade, they would be shot at, from all angles :S
ArtArt
Art

art on display of what remains of the city walls
Tons of pigeons!Tons of pigeons!
Tons of pigeons!

maybe if there weren't so many ppl feeding the pigeons...
More Pigeons!More Pigeons!
More Pigeons!

Since the temperature was nearly constant at around -10C every day, even the pigeons needed to stay warm by the heaters
Laundry TimeLaundry Time
Laundry Time

yet another ammenity that was included in the price of the hostel... no dryer tho. Thankfully our hostel wasn't busy and we had about 6 beds to our disposal for hang drying clothes.
Pretzels!!!Pretzels!!!
Pretzels!!!

These stands were at nearly every corner. The closer you were to the city centre, the more expensive they got (by expensive, i mean a range from 40-50 cents canadian)
Grocery StoreGrocery Store
Grocery Store

None of the grocery stores we saw were any larger than a typical Shoppers Drug Mart, yet they had every dept we would have in our regular grocery stores.
Cheap Pads!Cheap Pads!
Cheap Pads!

Too bad i've gone Diva!
No Heinz? :(No Heinz? :(
No Heinz? :(

none to be found in Poland, but oddly, McDonald's has its own brand
Aero in Poland?Aero in Poland?
Aero in Poland?

Ayyyyy Lisu!
Breakfast!Breakfast!
Breakfast!

Every morning from 8-10am the hostel served breakfast which was included! We were surprised at everything they offered! Great start to every morning :)
Milk BarMilk Bar
Milk Bar

cheap food!!!... only catch was that the menu was in only Polish!
Naz's streetNaz's street
Naz's street

we might be way off, but it still reminded us of our good friend Az-Nabdulla!
TheatreTheatre
Theatre

Pretty theatre that we considered seeing a show at, but due to only Polish speaking/singing shows, we decided against it.


22nd January 2010

Ayyyyyyyyyyy, thanks for the aero! I had one two days ago actually :P that was sad reading about the horses that no longer saw the light of day though.... nice pictures! pew pew!
22nd January 2010

Looks like you are both getting into a rythm and will be well prepared with the other countries. Thanks for the update.
3rd March 2010

Wow! That's a lot of pigeons. So did Poland live up to it's claim to be the most welcoming country in the world??? And of course Auschwitz has no commentary. That must have been a horrible visit.
3rd March 2010

Those horses must have been in heaven, living inside a giant salt lick! And a chapel made of salt!? I guess they really took to heart when Jesus said that "you are the salt of the world"!

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb