10th Day in Pokhara


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
October 22nd 2008
Published: November 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

BuffaloBuffaloBuffalo

A common site every day. Buffalo have right of way here!
Decided today to not stop working until electrical jobs were done. Couldn’t eat anyway so that was possible ;-). I managed to get the list of things done except for the broken water pump. Will try to fix that some other day. The funny thing that happens if things work out is that more and more repair jobs emerge. Now one of the boys asked me to have a look at his mobile phone (he got an old one from his brother and it didn’t charge anymore). It’s not my priority but will have a look at that later.

Had a lot of trouble today getting all the lights fixed. Walls were not really suited to drill holes in, grips were bad, some light materials turned out to be broken or of bad quality, not having the right tools and mishaps like that all day long. And children of course like to pick up things (and tools!) and put them down at another spot than you left them so that really helped. It’s also great fun to use all the brand new light switches without noticing that someone is still working on the wiring... On the other hand electric drills
Buffalo on the streetBuffalo on the streetBuffalo on the street

These photos were taken yesterday but we didn't have any for today so here they sit!
and multi tools are a massive hit with the boys, they were genuinely interested in the technique behind those tools. Oh well, it was just one of those days and they happen in Nepal as well as anywhere.

I got a bit of renewed faith at the end of the afternoon because finally results were showing. The classroom was ready to be decorated so I decided to adjust a power socket in the kitchen also. I mean, it can only get better after a troublesome day can’t it. The power socket (used for a water filter in the kitchen) had been connected to another power socket with a cable that ran all over the wall where it also could have been connected to a central box elsewhere and closer by in the wall. Looked like a simple job. Looked like it... The central box turned out to be a cockroach nest. That was a first to me, never seen a cockroach before in my life (really!). But anyway, removed the nest cautiously and cut the power temporarily in the kitchen to fix the wiring for the power socket. Then replaced, straightened and tested it. Looked much better (and safer).
Motorbikes finding their way around the buffaloMotorbikes finding their way around the buffaloMotorbikes finding their way around the buffalo

The road users don't seem to have any problem just finding their way around the buffalo!
Got a compliment for the work.

Charis has announced that she is going to quit the volunteering work in Pokhara, she finds it too hard to do. It’s a bit bad timing for us because we were counting on her being available for some of the fundraising days of the Welfare home while we were away to Kathmandu to get out visas. But what can do you do about it. It was a courageous thing to decide (she clearly wasn’t happy) and go through with it.

Note to myself, don’t forget to borrow a wood bit for the drill to drill holes in the window seals for wiring (one of those extra jobs that submerge...).

Hopefully tonight we will have more success (less viruses) in the internet cafe so we can work a bit more on our travel blog.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb