11th Day in Pokhara


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Pokhara
October 23rd 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today was a quiet day, relatively speaking but a lot happened. First thing in the morning we went up to the Home to finish making decorations for the classroom. I had in mind to make some origami fish with the kids to go with the lanterns we had made earlier in the week. While I was doing that Jan was finishing off the small jobs with the electrical work in the classroom and around the home. When we arrived the kids were almost beside themselves with excitement as the desks and chairs for the classroom had finally arrived. They were all sitting at their desks and in unison called out Namaste as we entered the classroom - bought a bit of a tear to the eye. It was a sad moment for Charis as she had decided to finish her volunteering early and was heading back to Kathmandu. For her it was goodbye to the kids.

We'd walked up to the home with Tony Jones (Himalayan Encounters big boss ;-) ) and a couple of workers he'd brought with him from Bandipur. Tony was thrilled to see the classroom and was touched by he excitement of the kids. It was a great moment to share. While he and the workers were there they knocked a couple of holes in the 'prison wall' surrounding the Home to let some light in a make the home a bit less like a prison. What a massive difference it made - I don't think our photos can do it justice but we tried!!

After Charis had left and Tony had had his moment to savour with the kids I handed out paper and scissors and pens and showed the kids how to make the fish. They were hard at it within seconds and before I knew it not only did I have 30 fish coming at me, I had all sorts of origami animals and boats and pictures. I just couldn't give them enough paper to feed their enthusiasm. It was the most amazing force of creativity I've ever experienced. Fantastic. I started to hang them up on the strings but just couldn't do it fast enough and couldn't get past the kids to reach the string on the wall by the desks. It didn't matter at all because the kids did it when Jan and I were having lunch!!

The other thing we did today was to draw a height chart on the wall in the classroom so that the kids could measure their heights and write it on their photos before we hung them up on the back wall.

In the evening it was a quiet dinner and a bit of relaxation! Nice!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Watching the workmenWatching the workmen
Watching the workmen

There is not shortage of curiosity among this group of children
The home taking on a new lightThe home taking on a new light
The home taking on a new light

Looking less like a prison, more like a home. Tony has ordered more of these 'open bricks' so the wall is soon going to have a whole new feel about it. There also plans for painting, which will hopefully include the wall.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb