Kathmandu


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Thamel
March 14th 2010
Published: March 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys,

We arrived safely in Kathmandu after another 8 hr bus journey through mountainous terrains. The ride was quite scary as there were several bus wreckage's, where they had come off the road and down the mountain, which didn't' fill me with much confidence.

Anyway we got to Kathmandu about 4pm, and finally gave into a guy persuading us to go to his reccomended hotel. We arrived accepted that the room was fine and luckily it all worked out ok, about 4 pounds a night, though the water was brown and as with Pokhara the electric only works after 6:30pm. We later found out that the reason for the lack of electricity is due to the low water levels as Nepal's electricty is provided by hydro-electricity and in the monsoon season everything is fine, but in the mean while its a litttle annoying.

I didn't really think that much of Kathmandu when I arrived as I hadn't researched it at all. But the next day showed that it has a lot to offer. Wondering around the old town and Durbar square is pretty awesome all the small nepalese temples are so intrictily designed and sort of structually unsound looking it really brings the character to the place.

On the night we went into a Irish pub, where no we didn't have a Guinness but the menu was very European, just like most places around here. It seems that the restaurants try to cater for all needs, which does mean that the quality does lack a little! The main attraction of the Irish pub was its live band which did covers from Nirvana to Foo Fighters and they weren't bad either. We started talking to some Nepalese people who sat next to us who weirdly they had come from Pokhara, and really liked the English. They were about the same age as us and were genuinely nice people who seemed to have a distaste towards Indian people, maybe they had a bad experience.

Today we moved to a very posh hotel, well for us anyway called hotel Manang. The guard opened the door for us and there was a toilet with toilet roll, bonus, and a very clean and tidy interior. I don't think we should get too comfy though as tomorrow we head off for our trip to Everest, so this maybe my last blog for a little while.

I think I forgot to mention in my previous blogs about India, is that one problem was the toilet facilities in many place. The toilet is just a metal hole in hole in the ground which absolutely stinks, unless you are on a train where it just goes straight onto the track.

Anyway on that note thanks for reading hope you are all well and speak to you soon,

Smithy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb