Background: In 1951, the Nepalese monarch ended the century-old system of rule by hereditary premiers and instituted a cabinet system of government. Reforms in 1990 established a multiparty democracy within the framework of a constitutional monarchy. A Maoist insurgency, launched in 1996, has gained traction and is threatening to bring down the regime, especially after a negotiated cease-fire between the Maoists and government forces broke down in August 2003. In 2001, the crown prince massacred ten members of the royal family, including the king and queen, and then took his own life. In October 2002, the new king dismissed the prime minister and his cabinet for "incompetence" after they dissolved the parliament and were subsequently unable to hold elections because of the ongoing insurgency. While stopping short of reestablishing parliament, the king in June 2004 reinstated the most recently elected prime minister who formed a four-party coalition government, which the king subsequently tasked with paving the way for elections to be held in spring of 2005. Citing dissatisfaction with the government's lack of progress in addressing the Maoist insurgency, the king in February 2005 dissolved the government and assumed power.
Photos from Thamel
Blogs from Thamel
Latest Blogs from Thamel
- May 12th 2013 Kathmandu - Round Three
by Words: 721 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2013 Chitwan to Kathmandu
by Words: 431 Photos: 1
- May 8th 2013 Himalaya all the way!
by Words: 2329 Photos: 12
- May 4th 2013 Namaste
by Words: 239 Photos: 4
- May 3rd 2013 Kathmandu - Round Two
by Words: 1132 Photos: 5
- May 2nd 2013 Kathmandu - Round One
by Words: 345 Photos: 2
- April 30th 2013 Goa to Kathmandu by air
by Words: 1411 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2013 The Streets of Thamel - Shop Till You Drop
by Words: 534 Photos: 55
- March 29th 2013 Back to Kathmandu - More crazy motorbike rides
by Words: 1430 Photos: 20
- March 26th 2013 Happy Holi!
by Words: 1000 Photos: 20
- March 22nd 2013 Kathmandu Round II
by Words: 1252 Photos: 78
- March 6th 2013 Namaste! In Kathmandu at last...
by Words: 3179 Photos: 58
- February 3rd 2013 January 31st - 3rd Feb....
by Words: 1983 Photos: 0
- December 3rd 2012 Kathmandu
by Words: 210 Photos: 0
- November 27th 2012 Hock a loogie
by Words: 395 Photos: 0
- October 23rd 2012 Regaining Sanity... or losing it!
by Words: 8525 Photos: 0
- October 22nd 2012 Namaste and welcome “Home”
by Words: 2750 Photos: 23
- October 16th 2012 Temples and Tangka Kathmandu
by Words: 727 Photos: 37
- October 16th 2012 Flying out today
by Words: 627 Photos: 0
- October 9th 2012 First couple of weeks in Kathmandu
by Words: 865 Photos: 15