Nepal: Chitwan National Park


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Chitwan
October 18th 2012
Published: April 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

18/10 to 21/10: Chitwan National Park



Home to Rhinoceros, Crocodiles, Tigers and other wild animals like wild Pigs and chicken! We did a 2 hours canoeing journey before starting a full day walk into the forest with 2 guides. One has been working in the Park for more than 20 years and had such amazing hearing and sight for animals. He was training his colleague. We didn't meet any Rhino during our walk but did climb on a tree and waited for 30 min hoping to see the one nearby by but hidden by the elephant grass (2meters high even more). Once zig-zagging in the wood we did see/feel/sense one Rhino . A moment of fear and distress was present as we were in no position to hide or climb on a solid tree in case he decided to charge. It was rather unnerving for all of us - we could see the concern of our guides as they were close to panic at the lack of 'cover' - Somewhere for us to hide... Eventually the Rhino disappeared deeper in the wood and we saw and felt his shade going away. The power of the Rhino was quite incredible we could feel the ground rumble and feel his deep breath as we tried to find somewhere to hide!!

We had a walk on an Elephant's back inside the park. Sitting on a big chair shared with 4 people, we did see Rhinos and deers, crocodiles, Monkeys. This was a good experience even if it does feel wrong when the driver may slap the elephant on the top of the ear sometimes. We understand it is for our security but the gesture seems wrong.

Around 10.30 am, you can watch the elephants bathing in the river. Tourist can jump on the back and have a shower as well.

A bit of a tourist attraction of course but why not!

The elephant breeding center is home to hurt or orphaned Elephant and mothers with babies. In 2008, twins Rama and Shiva were born and we had the chance be near them and touch them. Elephant's eyes always seem to be sad or cry. The skin is tough and hairy. It was a great moment to see babies elephants. Another highlight...


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

our tree our tree
our tree

hidding for a good 30 min for nothing!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb