Malaysia & Singapore


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
January 31st 2008
Published: February 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Batu FerringhiBatu FerringhiBatu Ferringhi

Locals swimming in the sea
We were sad to leave Thailand but excited to move on to Malaysia. As we entered Malaysia we noticed the difference straight away, everything appeared 'normal' but it had a chracter all of its own. We headed straight for Penang Island and from Georgetown took the local bus to Teluk Bahang. Straight away we noticed how friendly everyone was. On the bus people offered theirs seats to us and helped us with all our luggage. The bus driver even drove us to another bus to take us back the way we came when we missed out stop!! We stayed in a guesthouse which was a room on the side of a family home. As we entered the whole family gathered into our room from the kids to the grandparents. They seemed so excited that we were staying there. We spent two nights here looking around the town and getting a feel for the place. We visited the next town along Batu Ferrenghi, which was more touristy but had a beautiful unspoilt beach where many of the locals were enjoying a swim in the sea. In the evening we walked along the night market and had some great food.

The next day we left on the a bus to the Cameron Highlands and stayed in the town Tanah Rata. It was hot in the day but as we soon found out the temperature dropped in the night. We had to sleep with our jumpers on!!! The next day we went on a tour of the Cameron Highlands. We visited a Buddhist Temple followed by a Rose Garden - Cactus Valley which offered amazing views over the highlands. We then went to a strawberry farm where we had a deliciouse dessert of strawberries chocolate and cream and BOH Tea Plantation which covered many acres of land. The views were fantastic and so rich and green. Our next stop was the butterfly farm wth lots of weird and wonderful creatures and then onto the Honey Bee farm which we all ran through because we were scared. Our day ended with a trip to the market where we bought some fresh fruit and veg to snack on. Back In Tanah rata we looked round and visited the local shops.

The next day we left for Kuala Lumpur, the bus journey was horrible as the Air conditioning on the bus had broken. We all sweated away and got off the bus when we had the chance just to get some oxygen. Halfway through the journey The AC was fixed, it was like heaven. When we arrived in Kuala Lumpur we stayed in China Town and headed straight for Nando's. Whilst in Kuala Lumpur we visited Dataran Merderka, some beautiful Lake Gradens and the KL Tower for a view over the city at sunset. Just outside the KL Tower were some black monkeys - it was so strange to see such wildlife in the middle of the city but Kuala Lumpur is set amongst the jungle. Kuala Lumpur is a really clean well kept city it was surprisling unchaotic, especially for an Asian City. We also visited the famous Petronas Twin Towerrs and walked across the bridge on the 41st floor. The view from the top was stunning, unfortunately ypu only get to enjoy this for 10 minutes, however we missed our lift down and had to wait an extra 10 minutes, which was great gave us more time to take photos. Lucy was especially lucky as she got to wait up there for half an hour but as the man made clear - it was our fault!!! It was a short visit in Malaysia but we loved it.

We left on a bus to Singapore where we spent two days before catching a flight to India. Whilst in Singapore we visited Chinatown and Little India, went on a boat cruise down the river, ate loads and window shopped as this is all we could do with no money.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



8th February 2008

hello!
Hey girls, just got your postcard from Malaysia this morning! Looks like you're having fun :) Hope you're all still getting along alright, I know 3 girls travelling together can get tough but make sure you're all looking after each other while you're so far from home! ;) xx
8th February 2008

Note to Parent.... Ithink the last line was a hint! Ha Ha
8th February 2008

Hi SLS Glad to see that the queing for the towers paid off the pictures are brilliant, I really liked the night shot from KL. Keep enjoying yourselves . L - Dad
11th February 2008

hey sis!
tea plantation looked awesome! and the towers are pretty impressing huh?! looking good! xxx
9th March 2008

Sooo glad to hear that the people were friendly after moving on from Thailand. You seemed to do and fit in an awfull lot considering the little time you had in Maylasia. The twin towers look impressive, what views wow!. I bet you was soo glad you missed the lift down so that you could have the extra 10 minutes. (Thats something I would do He! He!) Can u imagine your dad though (Sam)He would have been panicking..... I love the night time pic of the view from the KL Tower. Cameron Highlands look like fun too. Lookng forward to your next place of visit Love Mum V xxxxx

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb