Edging back to Civilization


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
April 23rd 2007
Published: April 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our fancy-shmancy hotel roomsOur fancy-shmancy hotel roomsOur fancy-shmancy hotel rooms

There was a little window from the bathroom suite into the room- so you never miss the TV show
So my dad and I are currently working out way back to the States. Our first stop is Kuala Lumpur (KL), Malaysia. It's a huge city and so different from what I had been living in.

Bangkok and other big Thai cities have raw sewage smells, dirty sidewalks (if there are sidewalks), clustered streets, beggars, and street vendors and hawkers constantly creating a buzz in your little ears. Plus the skies are polluted and the air can singe your lungs.

KL was very different. An almost spotless city- my dad and I counted five pieces of trash one day. It was modern and had huge sidewalks where we could walk side by side instead of weaving in and out of traffic on a makeshift sidewalk in single file. Most of the public toilets even offered a western style toilet instead of the 'toilet pan' (hole in the floor).

The first thing I did- after I played with the automatic curtains in the hotel that open when you push the button by the bed- was drag dad to TGIFridays! I couldn't believe it! Within walking distance from the hotel was a place with fried cheese and nachos! Yippeeeee!
Salute!Salute!Salute!

At the palace- we had just missed the changing on the guards on horseback
So I had the Ultimate Nachos and immediately felt guilty for not eating Malay food. I got over it quick when I saw the jalapeƱos.

That fist night we walked to the Petronas Towers. These are the world's tallest towner and the second largest building in the world. They were a pretty big deal. We walked around inside and found a 5 star shopping center (with a Chili's) Chanel, Prada, Gucci, Hermes, all the stores where you want to shop but aren't allowed inside.

The monorail was fun- we used that a lot. It could an escalator but other than that it was pretty convenient. It even had a cell phone charging port in the waiting platform.

Shopping and eating seem to be the KL residents' main focus. The monorail stations connected to a whole network of multilevel and first class shopping building network. I bet that if you knew your way around the city you could walk from one end to the other through the extensive network of shopping centers without ever stepping foot outside.

One even had an amusement park in it. And yes, of course we partook. We rode the Scrambler, the Roller coaster, and the bumper cars. The operator even allowed head-on collisions. Usually you get kicked out for that kind of shenanigans. We also saw an Imax in 3D about T-Rex. We were pretty tired after all our excitement.

Probably our most favorite part of the city was China Town- we had some great food. Although some it still had eyes and the raw egg on the rice was a surprise, the food was great and I think the wait staff got a lot of amusement out of watching us try to eat the food.

We spent a few hours on our last day at the Bird Farm- Avery. Its the largest free flight bird place in the world and I was impressed. Actually I took about 50 photos that I'm sure I'll never look at again, but everything looked so exotic I just had to get a photo of everything.

We also spent a day going around with a driver looking at the historic sites and new buildings.

Overall the city was such a culture shock after leaving Thailand- a variety of stores that sold international goods, restaurants with air conditioning and napkins, and a
41 storeys up!41 storeys up!41 storeys up!

Here we are at the Petronas towers- this is as far as they the tourists go. We stood in line about an hour and a half. It was free and really well done- videos on construction and electric stoms were interesting.
public transport system that didn't rely on hollowed out pick-ups.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Tip TopTip Top
Tip Top

The top of the tower from a skylight on the 41st floor bridge
Weeeee!Weeeee!
Weeeee!

The roller coaster in the mall!
Moblie phone charging stationMoblie phone charging station
Moblie phone charging station

Not sure if I've been outta the loop for too long, but I thought this was a great idea
Peacocks!Peacocks!
Peacocks!

From the bird place
Oldest building in KLOldest building in KL
Oldest building in KL

and now it's a BK
Eye see you!Eye see you!
Eye see you!

Notice the shrimp looking at the camera... This is oneof our China Town adventures- we liked China Town!


22nd May 2007

Petrona Towers
Ryan's dad works in the Petronas Towers....I am so glad that you got to go to KL. I have heard so many great things about that city. Ryan's parents are actually moving to Paris within the next six months. So we may not be able to visit them in KL before they move.
22nd May 2007

Petrona Towers
Ryan's dad works in the Petronas Towers....I am so glad that you got to go to KL. I have heard so many great things about that city. Ryan's parents are actually moving to Paris within the next six months. So we may not be able to visit them in KL before they move.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb