Penang - Our last stop in Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
September 4th 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It proved hard getting a bus ticket to Penang after the celebrations in KL, as they had a bank holiday, we asked several operaters on the street and all said the buses were fully booked, but we eventually found a desk in the sweaty bus station that had seats left for 0830 the next day.

Took around 4hrs to get there, crossed over the 13km Penang bridge(longest in Asia), we arrived and it looked abit like Benidorm, huge high rises but once we drove in to the city called GeorgeTown it was quite nice, small Chinese Shop houses, Chinatown and Little India all in walking distance of our hotel.

We havent done much here to be honest, the main thing we wanted to do was Penang Hill, once a Hill Station for the colonys wealthiest but this was closed for track works, as you have to catch a train up then walk down through the Botanical Gardens, so instead we have been wondering the streets and I actually got Stu to the Cinema (2nd time in less than a month!!!) and watched "Babylon AD", it was ok i guess, Oakley got inthere with some advertising i see!!

Seen a few "Lady Boys" onthe streets after dark, good job it is after dark as one even had receding hair line and a huge adams apple - NICE!!

We went to the Komtar building, highest building inthe city and we got to the 60th Floor and could see across to the main land of Butterworth and Penang Island and its Harbour. Visited Fort Cornwallis, which marks the spot where the British fleet under Captain Francis Light disembarked on July 16th 1786.

We have booked our boat tickets to Medan (Sumatra), Indonesia, we leave tomorrow morning.

Love us xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Easten Oriental HotelEasten Oriental Hotel
Easten Oriental Hotel

The brothers that owned Raffles owned this place


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb