Penang Island


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
September 26th 2007
Published: September 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 184 (25.09.07)

After a bit of a lie in we got up and had a day of shopping for toiletries etc. we were starting to run out of - after a hot walk we found the local 'supermarket' where we stocked up.

Having recently booked in for a night at Raffles (how posh) in Singapore, courtesy of the wedding present list, we had the realisation that we may need to get one or two more suitable items of clothing for such an occasion. On the upper floors of the shoppping centre we browsed the aisles and bought Mark some new shoes (still not sure what we are going to do with the rest of him though).

Back at the hostel we caught up with the blog, got pics onto some CDs and had something to eat before going to bed.


Day 185(26.09.07)

Today we were planning to get out and see some more of the city by following a walking tour (actually by amalgamating a couple of tours) we had found on brochures at our hostel. Setting out, we first planned to follow the traditional foods tour where we would see people making various delicacies. Unfortunately we missed some of the shops which had either moved, were not open yet or were opening later that day - oh dear - not too put off we stopped off at a noodle street vendor for a late brekkie.

Back on the trail we passed loads of local heritage landmarks including old colonial buildings, churches, chinese temples, mosques etc. A huge variety of architectural styles and some excellent buildings. After a quick stop at the impressive Town Hall and City Hall buildings we headed to Fort Cornwallis, built when Sir Francis Light first claimed the island of Penang. Unlike when it was first built it now has a cafe - excellent we needed a break!

On entering the fort there is a statue of Sir Francis himself together with some hats and a period gun which we had fun with for a couple of piccies. Venturing around the site we read abouts its history after which we stopped for an Icecream to recharge. On leaving the fort we walked along to little India. It was a great place to wander and, feeling a little peckish Mark tucked into a feast of curry rice served on a banana leaf - very tasty. After another couple of sites and buildings we pottered back to our hostel and relaxed for the evening.

Day 186 (27.09.07)

We'd meant to get up early today but we snoozed a little longer than planned - such a comfy bed! We caught the bus to the bottom of Penang Hill where we then caught a cool little funicular train to the summit. The views from the top were really good despite a little bit of haziness in the air.

We sepnt our time on the top wandering around the viewpoints and visiting a small temple and mosque. Its a famous spot for seeing wild monkeys so we hoped we'd catch a glimpse while we were there. We walked along the path to the next viewpoint and as we rounded the corner we heard a rustling in the trees and were lucky enough to see three monkeys sat looking at us. Thay were almost black and had white spiky hair, superb. We now felt our trip to Penang Hill was complete and headed back to the train for our return journey.

Back in town we went back to the banana leaf curry spot in Little India to stock up the energy levels for the long journey across Malaysia we were about to undertake.

Tonight we catch an overnight bus to Kota Bharu and we then catch a boat to the Parhentian Islands for some more holiday time - lucky us!










Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

the 'LB' Cafethe 'LB' Cafe
the 'LB' Cafe

some of you will understand the significance
Weird looking monkeys Weird looking monkeys
Weird looking monkeys

they are there i promise...


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb