Penang Island


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
February 2nd 2007
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So after a final farewell(for now) to Thailand i head into Malaysia. Again my idea of malaysia was way off the mark and this country (from what i saw anyway) has better infrastrucutre than back home and is a prospering country. I only had 10 days to see this country so i would only see a fraction of it. I decided to vist Penang island and Kuala Lumpar. Malaysia is a great place with 3 races living and working happily together. The Malay, the chinese and the Indans. I did not get the impression there was any tension between any of them and they were all proud to be known as malaysian. There are alot of countries i can think of that could learn from how they live together.
Anyway so i headed from the border (after a fine from the thai police for over staying my visa in Thailand)to Penang. Penang is a small island which you could drive around in 1 day. I stayed in Georgetown in the north of the island which was very lively at the weekend but quiet during the week. Ireland were playing in the rugby against wales and i was very surprised by the amount of irish people who seemed to be working and living here who all met up to watch the game. This island is famous in malaysia for its food and i soon found out why. The street grub here was amazing, from indian to malay to chinese you could stuff youself all day and although its not as cheap of other asian countries it tasted great.
The highlight of my stay here was when i rented out a motorbike and did a tour of the island. I visited a really cool butterfly farm which had amazing butterflies naturally enough and enormous moths. After that i had a crackin fruit shake at an exotic fruit farm and in the evening visited a huge beautiful temple (it had been a while since i had visited a temple and was suffering from withdrawl symptoms)
Peneng was a cool wee island and 3 or 4 days here is definately worth while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Butterfly FarmButterfly Farm
Butterfly Farm

this fella was as big as 2 hands


Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 87; dbt: 0.1367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb