Batu ferringhi


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » Batu Ferringhi
November 20th 2012
Published: November 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After checking out of Ryokan hostel and saying goodbye to Tyler I walked to the 7/11 to catch the 101 bus to batu ferringhi. 45 minutes and RM2.75 later I arrived in a beach town not that dissimilar to Langkawi, so not really my 'type' of place, nevertheless everywhere is an experience.

I checked into lazy boys, where I'm in a 6 bed mixed dorm. The 3 Swedish girls here seem nice, not met the 2 lads yet.

I had a walk along the beach, which is nice, slightlyBetter than Langkawi but still nothing in comparison to the Thai islands!

With it being a predominantly muslim country it's common to see the locals on the beach and in the sea fully Clothed; not in a swimsuit.

Batu Ferringhi, meaning 'foreigner's rock', is on the north of the island and is apparantly the most touristic resort found in Penang.

There is a large hawker centre just on jalan batu ferringhi called long beach cafe. There are lots of hawker Stalls there selling every type of food; western, Malay, Indian, thai and a good selection of fresh seafood. I ate there tonight and although it was more expensive than the one in Georgetown the food was just as good.

Tomorrow, after strong recommendation from Tyler, I'm getting up early to go to the national park. Taman Negara Pulau Pinang (penang national park) was declared a national park in April 2003. It was formerly known as the Pantai Acheh Forest Reserve. The reserve Covers an area of 2,563 hectares (9.9 sq miles).

It contains a collection of habitats not found in other national parks in Malaysia. Meromitic lake, wetlands, mangroves, mudflats, coral reefs and turtle nesting beaches.

There is a lighthouse in the park that was Built in 1883 by the British, it is located 242 metres (794 ft) above sea level.

There is also a Canopy Walkway at the parkA 250 metre long walkway that takes you through the jungle tree tops, up to 15 metres above the forest floor, giving a birds-eye view over the rain forest and the river cascading below.

I plan to leave early to beat the midday sun and spend a few hours exploring before heading back.

Love to all xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb