Perhentian Magic


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Tanah Rata
October 10th 2007
Published: October 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The last few days have been fantastic!

My last entry was written in Cherating which is a small village half way up the east coast. It was a fairly uneventful 2 nights there except for one rather grumpy monkey. We were leaving the beach cafe heading back to the room to be confronted by an angry looking chap on the overhead cables. He was pulling a face which resembled something like the zombies of 'Shaun of the dead"! and was doing little silly jumps at us. It was either in an attempt to stop us trying to chat his lady up, or he was a rabid beas! I suspected the latter and we made an alternatve exit route!

The Perhentian islands were a different matter! They were amazing. We started on the smaller of the 2 islands and more developed with it's 2 beaches and 10 resorts or so (no cars allowed)! Long beach proved to be lots of fun with great swiming in the sea and the surprise company of Annette and Josephine (a Swiss and French girl we had first met in Juara).

We were fortunate to do some snorkelling around Long beach, the high-light of which was duck-diving with a green turtle. He was so graceful and i didn't notice the increase in his pace when he had had enough of me watching him, until he was 5-6m in front of me! At one point he looked across at me as we swam together, awesome!

We then moved over to the larger Island Pulau Besar which was so queit and beautiful. It can be very busy earlier in the year although they were closing down in preparatiuon for the moonsoon rains coming! the hotel was fantastic and the seafood wonderful. The beach consisted of a mill pond of a lagoon with an outer reef. I spent many nights just walking the 600m length of the beach, staring at the stars and milky-way, listening to crickets and frogs, hearing mud skippers jump around, watching flie-flies dart about and seeing bats fly around under the moonlight! It felt an honour to be there.

With reluctance we left yesterday (as the hotel shut!) and arrived today in cameron Highlands on the way over to KL. We plan to catch a Train up to bangkok and over to Cambodia some time over the weekend.
Annette and Josephine leave for home on saturday but until then we are all travelling together.

I continue to be amazed at the genuine friendliness of everyone we meet, both travellers and locals.
Only this morning an elderly chap helped us to find the right bus station. He must have been at least 85 and was so keen to hear about us and try out his perfect english!

Time for dinner.......

Advertisement



10th October 2007

Hey!
Sounds so amazing! You're so lucky to have seen the turtle - that's really impressive! Look forward to reading about the next leg of your trip! James

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb