Background: During the late 18th and 19th centuries, Great Britain established colonies and protectorates in the area of current Malaysia; these were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. In 1948, the British-ruled territories on the Malay Peninsula formed the Federation of Malaya, which became independent in 1957. Malaysia was formed in 1963 when the former British colonies of Singapore and the East Malaysian states of Sabah and Sarawak on the northern coast of Borneo joined the Federation. The first several years of the country's history were marred by Indonesian efforts to control Malaysia, Philippine claims to Sabah, and Singapore's secession from the Federation in 1965.
Photos from Pulau Tioman
Blogs from Pulau Tioman
Latest Blogs from Pulau Tioman
- February 28th 2013 Island where some of South Pacific was filmed
by Words: 210 Photos: 14
- July 24th 2012 My Trip to Tioman Island
by Words: 2021 Photos: 7
- March 29th 2012 A Week on Tioman Island
by Words: 706 Photos: 28
- October 22nd 2011 My Open Water Dive Course
by Words: 567 Photos: 9
- September 28th 2011 Tioma Island: a little paradise
by Words: 1930 Photos: 78
- May 15th 2011 Palau Tioman
by Words: 788 Photos: 38
- August 23rd 2010 Paratiisissaki asuu käärmeitä, ripuli!
by Words: 306 Photos: 0
- August 7th 2010 Island!!!?
by Words: 821 Photos: 7
- July 3rd 2010 Tioman
by Words: 272 Photos: 8
- June 11th 2010 We saw a sea turtle!
by Words: 238 Photos: 0
- June 10th 2010 25 years young...again
by Words: 358 Photos: 13
- June 9th 2010 Does anybody work here?
by Words: 565 Photos: 0
- May 28th 2010 Malaysia - Tioman Island
by Words: 108 Photos: 8
- March 9th 2010 Tioman
by Words: 824 Photos: 10
- January 9th 2010 Tioman: an unforgettable evening
by Words: 2112 Photos: 10
- October 26th 2009 Pulau Tioman
by Words: 983 Photos: 22
- September 14th 2009 Patsy in Paradise
by Words: 641 Photos: 44
- September 12th 2009 Tioman!
by Words: 1527 Photos: 15
- September 7th 2009 Tropical Paradise: Tioman Island, Malaysia
by Words: 1359 Photos: 41
- September 1st 2009 Disappointment on Pulau Tioman...and a belly full of ants
by Words: 710 Photos: 58