Melaka River cruise


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka
November 15th 2021
Published: November 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Melaka River Cruise

The river cruise is a 45-minute round-trip and covers 9 kilometres.

The boat passes under a number of historic bridges reflecting the history of Melaka including a foot bridge that resembles the Rialto Bridge of Venice. Further down the river is the Pirate Park, a conventional amusement park with Ferris wheel, bungee trampoline and a rocking pirate ship.



Pasar Bridge (either during the 1500’s or 1600’s)

Linking Kampung Hulu to the Old Central Market, this wooden bridge was built during the heydays of Portuguese rule.

Old Bus Station Bridge

Quaint arches now decorate the bridge which was once a barren of steel and connected to the now relocated bus station.

Hang Jebat Bridge (rebuilt in 2008)

Unique styrofoam technology supports the foundation of this bridge.

Tan Kim Seng Bridge (1862)

Tribute to a wealthy Melakan trader of the same name. The bridge was destroyed in 1942 by the British and rebuilt to its current state.

Chan Koon Cheng Bridge (1908)

Replaced a drawbridge that was built in 1930 which allowed ship’s passage through the Melaka River.

Kg. Jawa Bridge (1714)

A macabre-inspired
pedestrian bridge, as severed heads were hung from the pillars during the Japanese occupation. Also known as ‘Ghost Bridge’.



The Melaka River Cruise is the only river journey in South East Asia that takes you back through these 600 years of history. Melaka is also known by the historic name of Malacca.

Melaka started as a trading post in 1403 to serve the hinterland. By the late 15th Century, Melaka was an established trading hub known as the “Venice of the East with people coming from far and wide to trade. It was said that there were 84 languages spoken in its heyday. The river was filled with merchant ships large and small. The buildings that lined the river in the city were for commerce and houses further away.



The river cuts through the centre of the UNESCO heritage site. On the North side, the culture of the Peranakan is showcased in Joncker Street (renamed as Jalan Hang Jebat). This area is largely made up of shop houses built during the “Dutch” period. They are long and narrow as the property tax was based on the width of the property.



Although it started out as a Malay sultanate, Melaka was subsequently ruled by the Portuguese, Dutch and English at various times but peoples from different parts of the world settled here.



https://www.heygo.com/tours/river-boat-cruise-into-the-history-of-melaka


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement






Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 18; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb