Moscow Metro


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
November 15th 2021
Published: November 15th 2021
Edit Blog Post

The first metro system built in Russia, the Moscow metro glorified the technological progress of the Soviet Union and is today one of the world's busiest subway systems. It is most famous for its extravagant and unique interior design, exalted as the 'Palace of the People'.



Opened in 1935 with just 13 stations that Moscow Metro just keeps growing and growing - now there are over 180 stops and over nine million users a day. In comparison, the London Underground handles a mere 5 million journeys a day.



Ploshchad Revolyutsii Station

Ploshchad is decorated with 76 sculptures one cut into each corner of each column, arranged thematically moving from parents with their children to athletes, students to farmers, industrial workers to hunters to soldiers. There is also a frontier guard with a dog whose nose people rub for good luck.



Arbatskaya station

Arbatskaya station was built in 1953 in order to replace an older section of Filyovskaya's line track. Originally, the station served as a bomb shelter. Today it is an impressive station which features red marble pylons and a high ceiling which is decorated with floral reliefs, chandeliers and
other amazing ornaments.



Kiyevskaya station.

The station was opened on March 14, 1954. Station is located at 53 meters depth. At station decoration was used the theme of the history of Ukraine and the friendship between the Ukrainian and Russian peoples. The end wall of the central hall of the station is a large mural with images of flags and a mosaic portrait of Lenin.

Construction of the palatial Kiyevskaya was overseen by Nikita Kruschev who, as a Ukrainian himself, wanted to build a monument to the country’s contribution to the creation of Soviet Russia.

https://www.heygo.com/annamoscow


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement









Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb